wyeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castillo

Reaction score
I plan on homebrewing today so I take my wyeast from the fridge and I pop the inner pouch but then I noticed a small pin size hole on the bottom of the wyeast package. Is this something I should be worried about?

I've had a similar problem. The pack did swell and the yeast was fine for a few batches with no noticeable off flavors.
Don't worry it should be okay. But definitely pin hole end UP.

if there wasn't anything leaking through the hole? If not then there really isn't a hole in the bag. If there is a leak then you should sanitize a piece of toilet paper and then tape that over the hole to keep it from leaking.

A very small amount did leak when I discovered the hole but I've had it pinhole up all morning and it is swelling. Thanks.

I know everyone who posted has more brews under their belt than me, but I'm going to have to say the exact opposite. I'd never pitch yeast that could have been contaminated, why gamble with 5 gallons of good stuff? Just head down the LHBS, or put off your brew day for a while until you can get another package of yeast. I don't know about you, but I would be a nervous wreck the entire time it was fermenting...and even after I bottled it. I'd rather spend an extra 7 bucks for peace of mind! Just my 2 cents...

I know everyone who posted has more brews under their belt than me, but I'm going to have to say the exact opposite. I'd never pitch yeast that could have been contaminated, why gamble with 5 gallons of good stuff? Just head down the LHBS, or put off your brew day for a while until you can get another package of yeast. I don't know about you, but I would be a nervous wreck the entire time it was fermenting...and even after I bottled it. I'd rather spend an extra 7 bucks for peace of mind! Just my 2 cents...

Good point. I would say to have a couple of packs of dry yeast handy. When you tear open the smack-pack give it a good smell, if it doesn't smell clean and happy use the dry yeast instead.

Back