Wyeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogboyBrew

Reaction score
I slapped my pack last Thursday with hopes to brew this past weekend, ran out of time. My pack inflated, but I ran out of time and couldn't brew...is the yeast still salvagable?

Make a starter and make more yeast from whats left. if it sat at room temp for that long then the viability is prob on the low side.

That's the bad news. The good news is that if it has been in the fridge this whole time, you are more than likely fine.

Either way, good advice to make a starter. Depending on the amount of wort you are making and the gravity of the wort, even a factory fresh smack pack might not have enough cells to give you a proper pitch.

Of course it's fine. Smacking the pack only releases a bit of nutrients. Put it back in the fridge and use it when you need it.

Normally, you should make a starter for any beer above 1.050 anyway, so that's a non issue.

I used a packet of 1028 that had swelled during shipping last year. Put it in the fridge on Friday when receieved & pitched it the next day. It started up very quickly. I would guess up to a week in the refrigerator is probably OK.

I smacked and allowed to incubate for a day or two before brew day, and ended up out of town and out of time..I think I'm gonna have to count this pack as a loss, and just grab some us05 and get to it this weekend. Thanks for all of the replies

Back