Wyeast Trappist Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amrmedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I brewed a Belgian Blonde ale 2 weeks. I made a 2 L starter of the Wyeast Trappist Ale yeast. I overshot my OG because somehow I got about 15-20% better efficiency in my rig this time (OG was 1.089 when I was aiming for 1.076).

The yeast kicked right in and within a couple hours, I had bubbling in my airlock.

It is coming up on 14 days and I still have vigorous bubbling in the airlock. I have not opened my fermenter to check the current OG as I use an Ale Pale, and it is a PIA to take the damn lid off without contaminating it.

Does this sound right for this beer to ferment this long due to the high OG?

I have never brewed with this yeast strain before.

I am also using Wyeast 3787 for the first time right now on a Dubbel (OG 1.082) and on day 7 it was at 1.047 and still cruising along. I usually take a reading sometime around now to make sure things are on track (and usually it is pretty close to FG), but this yeast is different than any other I have used yet. I have resolved to just leave it and let it do its thing. It's apparently happy, plenty of yeast still in suspension and all kinds of swirly motion seen through the carboy. Getting a bubble every 5-10 seconds if that helps line it up with your bucket. I'm finding it hard to leave alone as well...

I am on Day 11 and get a bubble every 5-10 seconds. I am assuming since these are high OG beers, there is lots of food for the yeast and they are feasting.

I plan on letting it go until it stops bubbling then taking a reading.

Yes it is. Let it sit longer before you do anything. You could rouse the yeast a bit if you want, but it is normal to have a big beer sometimes take longer to finish.

I have a tripel in primary fermenting (OG about 1.083). I used WLP530 which is the same as the trappist yeast from Wyeast. I pitched a quarter gallon starter (I know, it's probably too small) and the yeast started within 30 mins to show signs of fermentation. And then the next 3 days the yeast went furious even though I was fermenting a relatively cool 65F. I was extremely lucky since about an inch of sediment accumulated in the airlock yet it didn't actually explode. It's now on day 8 and the airlock is going about every 10 seconds or so with a nice 2 inch thick krausen. So my experience is the same as yours. This yeast is a beast. :mug:

I've only used 3787 twice, but it tends to take longer than most yeasts to finish up. Expect some CO2 production and kraeusen for the better part of a month, if not more. Just plan on giving this beer more time. On the plus side, it seems to carb and condition quickly and well after bottling. Go figure.

Try to raise the fermentation temp by about 3-5 degrees now that the furious fermentation has slowed down. This will increase the attenuation because the yeast wont drop out as fast. Most Belgian ales have +85% attenuation, so this a good strategy to help achieve those kinds of numbers.

Compared to some strains this yeast can be kinda slow, but it sounds like you should be close to finishing up. I had to check my notes, but I brew a Triple in October and pitch this yeast with an OG of 1.080. 16 days later I was down to 1.007. When I racked into secondary 5 days later it had dropped another point. Just give it some time, but be sure to confirmthat fermentation is complete with your hydrometer.

Back