Wyeast swelled during shipping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kjm06

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before but I searched and couldn't find anything. My wyeast packet was shipped to me already swelled and I assume this ruined the yeast. It was shipped with an ice pack but it was already warm by the time it got to my house. Is there anyway to still use it or should I just toss it.

Thanks!!

You could always make a starter and if your starter never takes off, then your yeast is obviously no good and you're really no worse for wear. I would probably still try it, though...

How swelled up was it? when I get them they're usually puffed up a bit. I attribute this to all the jostling around they get during delivery.

I haven't had a non-viable one in the mail yet though I could see it happening if it froze in the winter or scorched in the summer.

Heck.. it would be worth a call to the vendor you got it from. Most I've delt with have been really helpful.

Kjm06 said:
I'm sure this has been asked before but I searched and couldn't find anything. My wyeast packet was shipped to me already swelled and I assume this ruined the yeast. It was shipped with an ice pack but it was already warm by the time it got to my house. Is there anyway to still use it or should I just toss it.

Thanks!!

This happen to me a couple months ago. I made a starter to see if the yeast was still good and it was. I pitched it and everything was good

ScottSingleton said:
How swelled up was it? when I get them they're usually puffed up a bit. I attribute this to all the jostling around they get during delivery.

I haven't had a non-viable one in the mail yet though I could see it happening if it froze in the winter or scorched in the summer.

Heck.. it would be worth a call to the vendor you got it from. Most I've delt with have been really helpful.

It doesn't look crazy swelled but I've never used liquid yeast so not really sure. I guess I should have expected this ordering from morebeer and living in florida

If the inner smack-pack is still intact then put it in the fridge. Take it out and smack it about 8 hours before you create your starter.

It will then be swollen and taught like balloon -- meaning the yeast ate all the nutrient in the pack and is producing CO2.

Drop that sucker into a starter and go from there.

ScottSingleton said:
If the inner smack-pack is still intact then put it in the fridge. Take it out and smack it about 8 hours before you create your starter.

It will then be swollen and taught like balloon -- meaning the yeast ate all the nutrient in the pack and is producing CO2.

Drop that sucker into a starter and go from there.

Yep the smack pack is good. I've never used a starter before, should I order one? I was hoping you guys would say it was fine so I could make it tonight :)

I was "told" this is normal for this "strain" (it was 1056) by the guy at a new brew supply place in town ,well i did fall off a truck once a long time ago
but it wasn't yesterday....

now I travel the extra 7 miles to the next town to get brew supplies.

This happened twice from same place both times the packs were pitched
in starters and failed to start at 48 hrs - lesson learned ,but it was also
the main reason I started washing yeast.

I hope you have better luck.

Yep the smack pack is good. I've never used a starter before, should I order one? I was hoping you guys would say it was fine so I could make it tonight :)

well if you're not going down the road of using a starter (You should really look into that) you need to smack it at least 4-8 hours before you pitch. That get's the yeast ramped up and doing their thing.

+1 to making a starter but I've experienced this several times and they usually do not swell much.

If you are going to brew in the next 8 hours or so be sure to smack the pack and ensure the small nutrient pouch inside is burst and then give it a shake, by the time you're ready to brew it will really swell, like 3" thick even around 12 hours!

If you are not brewing that quick pop it back in the fridge until you're ready, I'm sure it'll be fine!

Cheers!

well if you're not going down the road of using a starter (You should really look into that) you need to smack it at least 4-8 hours before you pitch. That get's the yeast ramped up and doing their thing.

true but the problem is if you smack at the start of the brew day it's a good 3-4 hours at least before you are ready for it (hour to mash, 45 minutes to get to a boil, boil for an hour, etc) So if he starts his whole process and then 4 hours goes by and it hasn't swollen, he is screwed. I agree with the others, make a starter.

OP, you mention that you've never used liquid yeast before, just how swollen is the pack. they swell up pretty damn firmly a few hours after you smack them.

I am all about starters; but if the OP isn't going to do one (it's his/her choice regardless of the advice we give) the smack pack expansion will give some indication as to viability. They'll swell up taught like a soccer ball after a few hours.

Thanks for the advice homies. I would use a starter, I just don't have one yet. Ive decided to wait until I get one. How long will it last in the fridge? I would assume at least a couple weeks

Heck yeah... that's where the local shops keep them before you buy.

Do know that the viability drops over time. yeastcalc.com will help you figure out that viability based on package date, and help you get your ratios down for your starter.

Back