Wyeast Smack Pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anteup

Reaction score
I activated a Wyeast smack pack under the assumption that my wife understood 4 hrs to brew meant 4 consecutive hours. Now, how long is the yeast good for? Package is inflated, can I but it back in refrigerator and brew in a few days?

Yup, no worries............but

IMO if your beer is over 1.040 OG you should be making a starter anyways so use the few extra days to get one going and your beer will be happier for the effort!

It will be fine. The batch I brewed last week I ran into this and had to put my starter in the fridge for 48 hours. Folks on this forum told me it would be fine. I took it out and let it warm up to room temperature during my brew process. Pitched it and had activity in a few hours just like normal. So for me the advice is confirmed!

Yup, no worries............but

IMO if your beer is over 1.040 OG you should be making a starter anyways so use the few extra days to get one going and your beer will be happier for the effort!

Yes, this.

Starters are not difficult and will ensure you are pitching a adequate, healthy culture

Run your batch size, yeast production date and gravity though Mr. Malty.

In all likelihood, just one Smack-pack and no starter = significant underpitching.

If you're brewing Tuesday, making a starter on Sunday should work out fine.

Back