Wyeast Smack Pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkyMark80

Reaction score
Ok so I'm making a starter for the first time last night and its my first time using a smack pack. I smack the pack, it appears to swell, I make my wort, sanitize and cut open the smack pack. DOH! The yeast nutrient didnt break. So I pitched the yeast into the wort, sanitized the nutrient, cut that open and threw it in as well.

It appears to be starting to ferment, definitely some yeast floating around, but not as much as I was expecting, though it has only been 12 hrs.

Anything I should be concerned about?

Ok so I'm making a starter for the first time last night and its my first time using a smack pack. I smack the pack, it appears to swell, I make my wort, sanitize and cut open the smack pack. DOH! The yeast nutrient didnt break. So I pitched the yeast into the wort, sanitized the nutrient, cut that open and threw it in as well.

It appears to be starting to ferment, definitely some yeast floating around, but not as much as I was expecting, though it has only been 12 hrs.

Sounds like you're ok. Since you're making a starter you really don't need the nutrient pack. It won't hurt that you added it either.

You don't need to smack the pack if you are making a starter. Your starter wort acts as much larger yeast food than what is in the little pack. I usually smack mine right before pitching it into my starter though (similar to what you did) just to get some added nutrients but it definitely isn't necessary.

From the horse's mouth.

From the Wyeast FAQ website:

3. Does the package need to be fully swollen before pitching?

No, The package can be pitched before activating, or at anytime during the activation process. The activation process "jump starts" the culture's metabolism, minimizing the lag phase.

You don't even really have to smack if you don't want to if you are making a starter, but you definitely don't need to wait for it to inflate.

I just happened to read from one of the Faq's on the Wyeast site today that you can pitch Smack Packs without letting them swell. It obviously is not the best way but they said it shouldn't be a issue. I'll see if I can find the link.

Found it. Slightly different than your situation, but sounds like it will be fine.
2. Can I use an Activator package without activating it and waiting for it to swell? ?

Yes. An Activator pack has enough yeast in it to pitch 5 gallons whether it is activated or not. There will only be a slightly longer lag time if the package is not activated before use. In any case, the nutrient pack should be popped before using because it contains valuable nutrients. Typically, the Activator can be activated when you start your brew and will be swollen by the time your wort is cool
http://www.wyeastlab.com/faqs.cfm?website=1#r16

I brewed an Amber Lager yesterday and smack 2 packs of Munich Lager yeast, 1 swelled slightly the other not at all. Hopefully all will be alright. Nothing so far as far as activity but it has only been 24 hours.

Bottom line Mark, your good.

I dumped a 1056 into a 1.056 beer two days ago and have nothing going on. I did not smack the pack. I will let it go another 30 hours of so before adding some safale 05. I am leaving town for an overnighter so must leae it, or, pitch before I go.

The beer is at about 65F.

Sound like a plan to you?

Latest posts

Back