Wyeast Smack Pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck09

Reaction score
I just bought some kits online and will be using liquid yeast for the first time. I am planning on making a starter with the Wyeast Smack Pack. My question may be stupid since I have never delt with these smack packs but the inner packet that you actually break open, is it something that needs to be left inside of the packet as you pour the yeast into the starter? I guess what I mean, is the yeast nutrient that you are breaking open an actual plactic pouch that needs to be kept inside the packet when pouring? Thanks.

Yeah the packet is thin plastic. I've never had it go in to the starter jar or fermenter but I can't imagine what it would hurt if it did. It's sterile. I just cut a corner of the package with a knife for something and it can't come out.

Just smack the pack hard a few times and shake it 60 times every so often and you will be golden. Use the heel of your palm to smack the pack. Montanaandy

Ideally, the inner packet stays behind. I've been brewing for 8 years now and having been using Wyeast for about 7 of that. I have never had the inner packet fall out of the smack pack, but even if it did I wouldn't be concerned. If it's safe enough to sit inside the yeast packet for months on end, it's safe enough to leave in your starter vessel for a few days. So either way is fine but I doubt the inner packet will come out without some coaxing.

Yea the nutrients pack is pretty large. Just cut off the corner of the package when your ready to pitch and there is no way it will be able to come out.

Just like everyone said, you should be able to feel the packet and isolate it to a corner holding the pack if your hand. I actually smacked it too soft the first few times (zing), then realized I still hadn't broken the vessel inside. Give it a solid hit with the base of the hand or two, shake and leave it to do it's thing. Cut a small corner off the end when your ready to pitch into aerated wort and it'll leave the packet inside.

Back