Wyeast Smack Pack & Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madnetter1

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have been building up to all grain the last couple months, gathering equipment, knowledge, etc. so my much anticipated first AG brew day will be this weekend!

I am also planning on doing a starter for the first time with my Wyeast 1010 smack pack. My question on that is kind of two-fold. First, should I activate the smack pack for a few hours before pitching to the starter? Second, is it beneficial to also add yeast nutrient to the starter?

Just wondering if this is overkill or if it is a good way to go about the process.

Thanks!

I just recently used a Wyeast Smack Pack for the first time (had been using Whitelabs vials on the last few). I just broke the inner pack and poured everything into my starter vessel immediately. No need to wait 3 hrs to pour it, the yeast will be just fine in the starter as long as the temps are appropriate.

My 2c.

You don't have to let the pack swell before using, and especially not in a starter.

From Wyeast's own website: "The cell count does not increase significantly when the package is activated."

Back