Wyeast smack pack question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikechambers

Reaction score
Does anyone know if wyeast smack packs are considered wet or dry yeast? Specifically, should I worry about the yeast making it through an extended mail trip? (i.e. potentially 7 days).

Or should I just get a packet of dry yeast?

mike

Not dry, they are considered "wet". Seven dys is a pretty long time, expecially in summer. Most places offer an ice pack option which you may want to look into

wyeast smack packs are liquid yeasts, and should be kept refrigderated. 7 unrefridgerated days seems like a long time to me, I wouldn't do it. What strain were you thinking of shipping? there may be a dry yeast strain with similar characteristics.

Im making a Cream Ale from an extract kit from northernbrewer.com

I got:

Safale US-05 American

yeast.

This will be my second batch, and a friend is joining to help (and help bottle the first). Already getting excited for brew day.

mike

That's a good strain of yeast for a wide variety of beers, particularly for when you want a neutral flavor from the yeast. s-05 (or wyeast 1056, or chico ale, etc, they're all the same strain) does a good job of fermenting the wort and then getting out of the way to allow the malt and hop flavors take center stage.

Back