Wyeast smack pack question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coppinburgh

Reaction score
Just got a kit delivered from Midwest supply and the package was partially crushed and the smack pack has been activated. Any ideas on how long I can wait to pitch the yeast after it's been activated? The package hasn't swelled completely so I'm guessing it happened recently?

You could explain it to the seller & get another one shipped out. I'd use it pretty soon. It'll keep decently as long as it's still sealed.

Activating the internal nutrient pouch does not affect viability. Go by the viability date on the package and keep it refrigerated until you are ready to use it.

It always seemed to me that if they come in activated & you wait a week or more to use it,that the yeast would go dormant & need to be charged up again to start the reproductive phase again?

This exact thing happened to me recently, except I bought the yeast from my LHBS. I called the owner and he said to let it warm to pitching temp, and if it didn't swell, he'd be happy to give me a new one.

Well sure enough, as it warmed, it swelled normally as if I smacked it prior to pitching. In addition I pitched and had a very rigorous ferm with a huge krausen in about 12 hours.

As long as it has been kept cool you should not have a problem. The smack pack contains nutrients....and it's not like those nutrients have been lost. In my case, the yeast was still cold and the cells were "sleeping" so to speak. Once the pack warms, they should become active.

Let us know how it works out!

I would do a starter regardless of whether you get them to send you a new pack or not.

I'll probably make a starter Thursday. This is my 3rd issue with Midwest and I'd rather not call them again. Kit of the month club was a cool gift from SWMBO but as soon as I get the last one I'll be dealing exclusively with Northern Brewer or my LHBS. Thanks for the info guys!

I'll probably make a starter Thursday. This is my 3rd issue with Midwest and I'd rather not call them again. Kit of the month club was a cool gift from SWMBO but as soon as I get the last one I'll be dealing exclusively with Northern Brewer or my LHBS. Thanks for the info guys!

+1. If you do an appropriate-size starter, you ought to be just fine.

Back