wyeast smack pack question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
Currently im waiting for my stir bar to arrive in the mail. it should be here in the next few days. i have read some posts online about smacking a day per month ahead of time. i want to use my new stir plate so if i gotta wait ill wait. but my question is, if i smack it how many days can it sit before i HAVE to use it? should it be refrigerated the whole time, after 24 hours, or what? also will it explode if left in the pack too long? lastly, if i make a starter with it and the stir bar arrives the next day can i stir it then or is it too late? thanks to all those who post!

I've gone a couple weeks (not on purpose). It's in a sterile environment in the pack, so it just needs to get some new food to start fermenting again.

so if i smack it tonight and throw it in my fermentation chamber til tmro, i would then put it back in my fridge until the day i need it. pull it out to room temp then pitch a starter?

Back