Wyeast smack pack and stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chorgey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If I smack the Wyeast pack to release the nutrients, do I need to wait the three hours for the packet to expand if I'm using a stir plate or can I empty the contents right into the flask and start the stir plate?

If the wyeast is fresh and its not a high gravity wort just smack it, wait for it to expand and toss it in. Think of the smack pack as a small starter. I only build starters on a plate if the yeast is old or if I'm propping it up to build cell count for multiple batches.

You do not need to activate the pack. With care to stay sanitary pour the yeast into your starter wort. Fish out the nutrient pack and add it, or not it really doesn't matter.

I always make starters with liquid yeast. Especially if it was bought online and shipped. You can never be sure how well they were handled and making a starter will let you know if you have viable yeast. There are reportedly only about 100 billion cells on the day it is produced. Less by the time you get it. The average beer has an optimum pitch rate of around 200 billion cells.

Will a pack ferment your wort? More than likely. Does a direct pitch give you beer the best chance to be excellent? IMO, no.

Thanks for the information! This is a pack of Wyeast 2278 Czech Pils, dated 3/10/2019 (104 days old). I decided to smack the pack, not wait the three hours and then pour it into flask and put it on the stir plate.

Wish me luck!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks for the information! This is a pack of Wyeast 2278 Czech Pils, dated 3/10/2019 (104 days old). I decided to smack the pack, not wait the three hours and then pour it into flask and put it on the stir plate.

Wish me luck!

Cheers!

Sounds like you are on a very good start!

Back