Wyeast Roselare Smack Pack not inflating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsta Porter

Reaction score
Hello All,

Ready to brew a flanders red. I popped a roselare smack pack this morning and still, 10 hours later it shows little sign of inflation. Just wondering if others have expierenced this. I am still going to pitch, and then as a back up add S-04/S05 if I don't see any action after a day or so.

Thanks!!

Thanks! I appreciate it. No signs of fermentation this AM, so will wait it out a day or so.

All the Best.

Don't add any other yeast, just wait a few days and it will start. I just brewed one with that yeast last week and it took longer to start fermenting than other yeasts(2-3 days). By adding another yeast, you would throw off the balance of the blend.

OK, thanks for the advice. Day two shows no signs of fermentation, so I was getting ready to pitch in another sach. I will hold off.

OK, thanks for the advice. Day two shows no signs of fermentation, so I was getting ready to pitch in another sach. I will hold off.

I used the Roselare last year. Although I fermented it out with US-05 before pitching the blend, it took 2 weeks to a month before I noticed much going on.

I think this is a case were you need to trust our friends at Wyeast, put the carboy in a closet, cover it, and try to forget about it for a while.

A Flanders Red has a very long fermentation, so there's no need to repitch. Just let it ride.

Thanks, I figured it had a saccharomyces yeast for initial fermentation and then the bugs for the duration. I was thinking that the sach. should have been putting out. I checked the Wyeast site and it does not mention having standard sach strains as part of the blend, but since there is a smack pack I figure it is more than just the bugs. Regardless I will just let it sit.

Appreciate all.

I smacked a pack of Kolsch last weekend and it didn't inflate either. I ended up postponing brewing til this weekend and made a starter, just to be safe. It should be fine though.

Roselare is a different beast than normal brewers yeast. Put that carboy back in a dark closet and forget about it for a few months.

A little over 48 hours at 68 degrees and it is showing a krausen. Thanks for the guidance.

So, given that I had seen little sign of fermentation I felt safe without a blow off tube. Bad feeling! I left for travel for two days and was greeted home by the sight of millions of yeasties all over my bathroom floor. Fermentation kicked pretty hard day four and five.

So, given that I had seen little sign of fermentation I felt safe without a blow off tube. Bad feeling! I left for travel for two days and was greeted home by the sight of millions of yeasties all over my bathroom floor. Fermentation kicked pretty hard day four and five.

Uh-oh! Hope it doesn't go sour on you!

Wait a minute...

I know the Belgians like open fermenters, but wow. :eek: :D

Back