Wyeast Lambic Blend problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smpow

Reaction score
Howdy - First time brewing a Kriek/Plambic. Using Northern Brewer's Kriek recipe as a guide I made a extract batch, with about 3 points higher OG @ 1.056.

I used a wort-chiller to cool my 4.2 gallon boil to about 80, topped it off to just over 5 gallons, and pitched the lambic blend packet. The date on the blend was Feb 2010, so pretty old. :eek: The smack pack did not really bulge at all, but I have not had problems before...

Oh yeah, after cooling, I aerated with my drill attachment, realizing now that pedio does not like that...

Anyway, I pitched the blend 3 days ago, and I have not seen any activity. I have pretty much given up on the yeast starting, so will probably pitch more of something?

So, my question: Can I pitch another yeast and achieve similar results, as I have numerous dry yeasts around; or should I find another packet of the lambic blend to pitch?

If another yeast can fit the bill as some of the other goodies in the blend (brett, etc.) may be working without showing activity, what do you suggest?

Long-winded first post, so I hope that someone has some suggestions. Thanks for your help. :mug:

I pitched a relatively fresh pack in my first batch and it took about 3 days to take off. I suspect an older pack may take longer. However, you can pitch also pitch an ale yeast to get things going. Also, many people pitch dregs from sours to increase sourness and complexity.

a pack from feb of last year is pretty old, I would suggest adding another pack of lambic blend and the dregs of some commercial sours, you generally want fermentation to start fairly quickly and 3days is pushing the limit a bit too much

if you cant get a hold of another lambic pack soon I would add some dry sacch, let it run and you can add malto later to help feed whatever bugs are in there

Naturally, once I think I have an issue - I don't. Started bubbling away this morning, just needed extra long to wake up.
I smacked it last Sunday (total of 7.5 days), waited 3 days for it to expand, didn't want to make a starter, as I didn't want to possibly infect my foam stopper. So, all in all, I wasn't too worried, as maybe an infection in this brew isn't too bad, but still wanted to get things working. Everything just takes time.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Using non-bacterial yeast strains, I make a starter on bigger beers or if my smack pack doesn't expand much. Thanks again.

Back