Wyeast Lacto - Different Strain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint04

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but the last time I used Wyeast Lacto (1+ year ago), it was 5335, said "Lactobacillus Delbrueckii" on the package, and did not have the smack pack inside.

I received a pack of Wyeast Lacto from Rebel Brewer yesterday. It was still 5335, but this time just said "Lactobacillus" on the package. Also, there must've been a smack pack inside, because the package was as inflated as any yeast smack pack I have ever seen.

Is Wyeast using a different strain of Lacto now? Is it still 100% Lacto (no Sacch)?

My understanding is that their strain in L. brevis. Not sure if they switched strains, or just reclassified.

Interesting. Well, I've always had better luck with Wyeast Lacto than White Labs Lacto, so I'm hoping that this turns out how it has in the past.

Interesting. Well, I've always had better luck with Wyeast Lacto than White Labs Lacto, so I'm hoping that this turns out how it has in the past.

Ditto, I've written off the White Labs strain after fermenting a beer with nothing but, and getting basically zero acidity.

Back