Wyeast Help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolphy

Reaction score
So I thought I broke the little inner packet in the wyeast package but when it came time to pitch the yeast, it was still unbroken. I threw the yeast in but I'm not sure what to do next? Should I get more yeast or break the packet into the wort???

Not much of a problem. The packet contains nutrients but you should have plenty in the wort. Ideally you should always make a starter, but actually you don't have to break it open. It will be fine.

Next time make a starter. You will see better results.

Sorry to be a noob, but what's a starter? Is there a link I can read about it? Thanks for your input. It's greatly appreciated!

Oh, no problem. A starter is basically making a mini beer first. There a a lot of threads here just do a quick search. Any way the jist of it is you add some DME to boiled water, cool it down and pitch the yeast into it. For 5 gallons a 1 liter starter is normal. After 2 days you pitch that into your wort. The benefits are huge. First you make sure your yeast are healthy before you put it into your precious wort. Second you grow more yeast making sure you have plenty to pitch (1 packet isn't enough usually, although you can still make good beer without a starter so don't worry)

Look it up, I am just bieng general here. You won't regret it.

I think I read on their website that you can pitch the dry yeast w/o popping the inner packet and although it may be slower to start it will be ok.

Back