Wyeast Forbidden Fruit 3463 - Witbier Experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollywoodMX

Reaction score
So this yeast is a bit of adventure. Its originates from a Hoegaarden fruit wheat beer from the 1700's.

I just brewed a 3944 with a similar recipe and this yeast acts ands tastes totally different. My 3944 had a very mild brew smell of belgian beer during fermentation. The 3463 kicked the orange peel into high gear! Smelt like somewhat stinky orange peel, quite strong. Air lock was going hard but no where near as foamy as the 3944. Its very clear on the top and flocculates extremely low, so its very cloudy on the bottom.

This is my recipe, I'm calling it ElderWit.

Coopers Fermenter (No need for secondary)
6 gallons volume,
Wyeast Forbidden Fruit 3463
Coopers Wheat Extract/kit
Boiled 1400g LDME; 200g Demera, 200g Dextrose

Finishers - Boiled
1/2 tsp yeast starter
2 tsp crush coriander
4 pieces of bitter Curacao orange
1 tbsp elderflower
1/2oz of Cascade Hops (dry hopped in sanitized panty hose)

22 C. First week and a half. 18 C for a few days. (heat shutoff when was on vacation by accident).
SG 1.051
FG 1.014
AA 73%

It's done fermenting. I just through in some gelatin today and pulled the hops, and will bottle in 3 days.

So how does it taste? Well it definitely tastes Belgian, and definitely fruity but it also captured the sour taste from the orange and perhaps my cascade hops. But I noticed when I left my taste tester glass alone for 20 min and the yeast settled and re-tasted it was fine. So the yeast is holding the sourness not the rest of the beer. So I'm hoping the gelatin holds all that sour yeast.

So I was thinking of bottling with LDME instead of corn sugar or a combo of both with hopes of the malt sugar taste to help battle any possible sourness. Suggestions are welcome.

Any other questions about this strange yeast let me know. The main lesson is watch your fruit add-ons as this yeast will amplify the fruit tastes for sure. I used the same orange peel in my 3944 and its not even 2/3rds as fruity.

Tested it out and wow what a difference from the smell and taste before bottling. It did kinda have a stinky socks smell and taste with sourness. All that smell went away and tastes great. Overall its a unique belgian beer but I think I prefer the 3944 better.

It did kinda have a stinky socks smell and taste with sourness.

Personally, this wet stale sock smell/flavor is what I dislike about Belgian Wits. It may be "classic" or "characteristic", or whatever, but I always aim to retain the features I like while removing that particular characteristic. I love the spiciness of the wheat, orange, coriander and grains of paradise, etc with the yeasty and dry finish. I think there is no issue in making a drinkable beer such as this without the sockiness... but to each their own and I know some folks who like that characteristic, so this sounds like the yeast for them!

I actually posted about this yeast a month ago. In January I was thinking of making a very fruity/floral IPA for my sisters birthday using this yeast. Felt the characteristics of the yeast might make a beer she would enjoy, and she sounded excited about it.

Personally, this wet stale sock smell/flavor is what I dislike about Belgian Wits. It may be "classic" or "characteristic", or whatever, but I always aim to retain the features I like while removing that particular characteristic. I love the spiciness of the wheat, orange, coriander and grains of paradise, etc with the yeasty and dry finish. I think there is no issue in making a drinkable beer such as this without the sockiness... but to each their own and I know some folks who like that characteristic, so this sounds like the yeast for them!

I dont feel the 3944 has that characteristic, but this forbidden fruit was completely a different animal, while frementing it was more like stinky socks that horses wore in a dirty field. It did mellow out to non-stinky once bottled and conditioned but this yeast defintely has a distinction from any belgian beer I have ever had, but if your right if you dont even like that belgian ester, then this is for sure not the yeast for you as this takes the belgian taste to the extreme.

I actually posted about this yeast a month ago. In January I was thinking of making a very fruity/floral IPA for my sisters birthday using this yeast. Felt the characteristics of the yeast might make a beer she would enjoy, and she sounded excited about it.

I'm not sure this yeast will pull off an fruity floral IPA that you might be hoping for, if you want a european type feel, the wyeast Kolsh ale yeast might be the ticket. Lost Coast great white (white beer) uses that yeast and it does the fruity floral quite nicely. It's one in my near queue to use.

I'm not sure this yeast will pull off an fruity floral IPA that you might be hoping for, if you want a european type feel, the wyeast Kolsh ale yeast might be the ticket. Lost Coast great white (white beer) uses that yeast and it does the fruity floral quite nicely. It's one in my near queue to use.

Good to know, gotta look into it.

EDIT: Only problem is that it is hard for me to ferment in the 50-low 60 range due to the lack of room in my NYC apartment. Even with the freezing temps we have and the windows open, my apartment stays in the 60's, but my fermenter still stays a little warmer (68-70) due to the fermentation.

Well my basement starts at 68 with active fermentation but then hits that 62-64 deg in 2 days'ish and thats enough for that yeast IMO and thats what temp I'm going to ferment it at.

Back