Wyeast for Grand Cru: 3463 or 3944?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleobie

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Grand Cru from Papazian's book soon. It's a tasty sounding recipe and I need to choose a "Belgian Wit" type yeast.

I'm wondering if anybody has used Wyeast 3463 (Forbidden Fruit) or 3944 (Belgian Wit)? I find the descriptions a little ambiguous - for example, 3463 is named Forbidden Fruit but the description says there is "subdued fruitness".

I'm looking for something that will ferment well at high temperatures and leave behind tasty, complex spiciness and some fruity esters. I'm new to brewing Belgians, but I've heard you can leave them in the mid 70s.

I like 3944 but lately I've been using 1214 a lot and really like how it turns out I have done both controlled fermentation temps in the 60's and low 70's on a couple of batches, and let it get into the low 80's on a recent batch of wit I made, and they have all turned out great.

I haven't used 3463 yet, so I don't have any opinions on it.

Damn you - you just added a third one to my radar! :D

So it got into the 80s and was good? That's really appealing to me - my apartment doesn't have AC and I'd love something that can sit at ambient temperature.

I realize Grand Cru isn't a style per se, but is it still to style if you use a different strain of Belgian yeast?

If I remember correctly, grand cru = celebration ale. I have had several different types of Grand cru any where from rodenbachs grand cru "flemish red" to flying fish which I would say is a belgian specialty ale. So I would think you could use just about any yeast strain and call it a grand cru

Got it, alright. Yeah, looking at the BJCP guidelines, the recipe's definitely a belgian specialty ale. So many choices :D

If I remember correctly, grand cru = celebration ale. I have had several different types of Grand cru any where from rodenbachs grand cru "flemish red" to flying fish which I would say is a belgian specialty ale. So I would think you could use just about any yeast strain and call it a grand cru

I thought Grand Cru = Premium or Flagship. In beers in can almost carry the same title as Imperial (stouts, porters, etc) but for the fruity Belgium beers. So bump up the recipe for a few extra ABV points and add more complexity to the beer. I'm currently researching a Abbey Grand Cru and should brew it soon.

Should be a little higher than a session beer...I'm putting in 2 lbs of honey and 6 lbs of dry malt extract. I don't want to stray from this recipe TOO much aside from the yeast.

Went with the 3944. It's 48 hours in and just now bubbling away - sitting at about 72. Thanks guys!

Back