Wyeast flaw

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bone2

Reaction score
I am a nOOb. Probably, no definitely too new to criticize....

But, I had a snafu with my Wyeast last night. I smacked the pack just as I have in the past. Felt around for the little pouch, pinched it with both hands, and then smacked it several times.

The package expanded a bit, but not as much as it has in the past. No problem, I've read many times here.

So, pitched the yeast, and could still feel the pouch inside. So cut open the package and sure enough, I hadn't broken the pouch. It looked like there were actually two pouches together. Anyway, I cut that open and poured it into my wort. I didn't think it would hurt, nor help, much, either way.

On the other hand, no smacking with White Labs. Your thoughts?:(

No big...carry on as planned.

2. Can I use an Activator package without activating it and waiting for it to swell? ?

Yes. An Activator pack has enough yeast in it to pitch 5 gallons whether it is activated or not. There will only be a slightly longer lag time if the package is not activated before use. In any case, the nutrient pack should be popped before using because it contains valuable nutrients. Typically, the Activator can be activated when you start your brew and will be swollen by the time your wort is cool

http://www.wyeastlab.com/faqs.cfm?website=1#r16

Yep, smacking the pack is not exactly necessary. It will help wake the yeast up, speeding up fermentation a little, but it's not going to ruin anything if you fail to break the pouch, so it's nothing to lose sleep over.

If you are truly concerned, then make starters for your liquid yeast - it's always a good idea, and will help your yeast out a LOT more than a little nutrient pouch.

Back