Wyeast cell count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamset

Reaction score
Pretty much every opinion I read states that starters are always recommended. Many say they're necessary to achieve proper fermentation quick enough on beers 1.060 OG and higher. Knowing this, why doesn't Wyeast or White Labs put more than 100 billion cells in their packages?

Money is one possibility. I'd also wonder if maybe it has something to do with being able to A) guarantee the cell count and B) guarantee viability.

And in reality, a starter would be necessary at a much lower gravity than 1.060. Unless your gravity is 1.028 or below, and your yeast is 96% viable (basically less than a few days old, it'll spend more than that in transit to the LHBS most of the time), you're going to need some form of starter for a 5 gallon batch if you want an optimal pitch rate. That said, if I'm brewing a beer 1.035 or below, I generally don't make a starter unless the yeast is fairly old. Anything else, I do.

Back