wyeast activator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle6286

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I tried searching this forum but couldn't find anything. I am expecting to get my next batch in the mail today. This is the first time I'm using the wyeast activator. I'm making a Belgian Witbier. I don't plan to brew until Saturday so my question is, do I need to keep the activator in the fridge until this Saturday or is it ok to just leave it at room temperature?

Thank you

Best to keep it in the fridge until brewday then let it warm up to room temp on brewday, smack and watch the magic happen. :D

I've only used Wyeast once, I smacked it the night before and pitched around 1400 the next day. Worked fine.

I prefer White Labs b/c I make my own starter sized for the job (google mrmalty).

Thanks guys. Because this is only my second brew, I went with the extract. I plan on going to partial grain and then AG eventually. However, I've read many times on this site that these activator smack packs really do need a starter. My problem is, my recipe came with LME, not DME. I know that LME will make things very sticky so am I out of options for making a starter with this smack pack? I'd rather not use LME so is it possible I can go pick up some DME, or can I not mix DME starter with my LME that my recipe calls for? Hope this makes sense.

You can use dme for the starter. I keep some xtra light dme around just for starters. You can pitch without a starter though if you can't get ahold of any dme. I don't know why you couldn't use lme either too.

jaycount said:
You can use dme for the starter. I keep some xtra light dme around just for starters. You can pitch without a starter though if you can't get ahold of any dme. I don't know why you couldn't use lme either too.

Does it matter what dme? Sorry, I've only used LME so I don't know much about dry. And this won't conflict with my lme? Thank you for the help!

Wont conflict. Id suggest using extra light though so it doesnt affect the flavor/appearance of the beer any.

I just found a 2 quart glass pitcher that I think I'm going to use for my starter jar. I believe this should be ok as long as I clean and sanitize it. Anyways, my belgian ale's SG is 1.044. I plugged this into mrmalty and the default gallons were set to 5.25, although I'm doing a 5 gallon batch. Is there any reason this is set to 5.25 and not 5? Just in case, I used the default 5.25 gallons and calculated and it says my starter requires 1.37 liters. Basically, I just wanted to make sure I calculated this correctly. As I previously mentioned, I'm using a wyeast activator. I know it's probably not difficult at all but since I've never done a starter before I wanted to make sure I don't screw anything up. Thanks in advance!

although I'm doing a 5 gallon batch. Is there any reason this is set to 5.25 and not 5? Just in case, I used the default 5.25 gallons and calculated and it says my starter requires 1.37 liters. Basically, I just wanted to make sure I calculated this correctly. As I previously mentioned, I'm using a wyeast activator. I know it's probably not difficult at all but since I've never done a starter before I wanted to make sure I don't screw anything up. Thanks in advance!

The extra 0.25 is to make up for the volume of the trub in the bottom of the fermenter. Just to make sure you were led in the right direction on making a yeast starter, here is a good link for you to read.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

MaynardX said:
The extra 0.25 is to make up for the volume of the trub in the bottom of the fermenter. Just to make sure you were led in the right direction on making a yeast starter, here is a good link for you to read.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

Yup, I've read that before and it's been very helpful. I guess I was just being paranoid as I've never made a starter before. I'll make it tomorrow using the recommended volume, 1.37 liters. Thank you

jaycount said:
Or decant off the beer in the starter if you do use a different dme...

I just read what that means. I think I'm going to do that since I don't have any dme and revvy mentioned a Goya malt drink that can be used in place of dme. I'll make my starter with this and decant most of the liquid before pitching. Thanks for the help I learn new stuff here everyday.

Back