wyeast activator pack first time use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagesgt903

Reaction score
Well im still new the site and homebrewing in general but the batch i will be brewing next calls for wyeast 1098. So for all i have used is dry and had pretty good results. Any recommendations for using it as i have read some different things? Can it be used right out of the package or does it have to be done with a starter?
Thanks in advance

What kind of beer are you brewing and what is the starting gravity. General consensus is anything over 1.060 OG needs a starter. The starter size can be calculated on websites like Mr Malty or yeastcalc. I personally always make a starter with liquid yeast to ensure less lag time and that I have enough little guys to do their job properly. Do you have to? No, not on a session beer, low OG, but it is still not a bad practice to get into.

Good luck

Its an irish red with a SG of 1.062 per the recipe. If it will be ok with the smack pack and no starter this time I think thats what I will use but using a starter is next on the list.

It will work. You may have some off flavors because the yeast will be more stressed during fermentation, but it will make beer.

Should i just go back to a dry yeast or go ahead and do a starter this time?

I've done both and have made very good beer. It is always better to pitch the recommended amount of yeast, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. It won't turn out "bad". It just may have some additional flavors that you may not have expected.

I always make a starter. You can compensate for not making a starter by pitching several packs of yeast.

Well the calculator on my phone says 2 packs are needed for the batch without a starter. Guess its time to upgrade to using starters. Thanks for the help guys

that is probably assuming the packs are super fresh. Make sure the calculator takes into account the date on the pack to determine the viability of the cells. If the packs are old will only have a fraction of the original cells.

How hard do you have to smack it? I feel like I hit it a few times and not swelling. My first time using liquid too. And once activated is there a shelf life to it? Its refridged but do I have to use it tonight if activated earlier.

I only smack them morning of brewday and leave them out at room temp. You know the activator is punctured when you don't feel the little bubble inside the pack anymore.

Latest posts

Back