Wyeast Activator - not activating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtrman13

Reaction score
It's brew day, and I'm using liquid yeast for the first time. Specifically Wyeast 2565 Kolsch in the activator pouch. The directions say to smack the pouch, shake, and wait three hours. Well, I did that, and two hours later the pouch had not swollen one bit. So I figured I didn't smack it hard enough to break the inner pouch. So I repeated. I couldn't feel any inner pouch when I checked so I figured it worked. But now I'm in the middle of my brew and it's been 3 hours since I tried to activate the yeast and no swelling yet. Any thoughts on what this means?

Even the people from wyeast say they won't always swell too big. It is best to make a starter with a vile or a smack pack, but my guess is if the date is in range, and you didn't store or ship in bad temps, you're ok.

It's brew day, and I'm using liquid yeast for the first time. Specifically Wyeast 2565 Kolsch in the activator pouch. The directions say to smack the pouch, shake, and wait three hours. Well, I did that, and two hours later the pouch had not swollen one bit. So I figured I didn't smack it hard enough to break the inner pouch. So I repeated. I couldn't feel any inner pouch when I checked so I figured it worked. But now I'm in the middle of my brew and it's been 3 hours since I tried to activate the yeast and no swelling yet. Any thoughts on what this means?

It takes at least 6 hours at room temp to make them swell. Are you sure you broke the nutrient pack inside? It is actually pretty hard to do. Takes me a good 3 or 4 trys. If you can feel a hard ball like thing in it, then you didn't break it.

I use almost always Wyeast. I have been making starters for 2 years now with them. the yeast is always good just some times a little slow starting. Pitch when it is time, just don't be surprised if it take 36 to take off.

Well, it came time to pitch the yeast, and when i opened it, sure enough the bag inside had no popped. So I pulled out the little bag, opened it, mixed all of the solution together and pitched it. Hopefully this will work!

Most of the smack packs I have had took several days to swell, but they were mostly pretty old. Nowadays, I smack them about a week before brewing. If they swell up well, I put them in the fridge, and make a starter 18 - 24 hours before brewing. If they don't swell very much, I leave them at room temperature, and make a starter 48 hours before brewing. This always works for me. I don't get excessive lag times, and the yeast attenuates well.
If you don't make a starter, then you could well have a few days lag time.

[Edit] Lots of people (including me) fail to pop the nutrient on their first try, but most people manage it on subsequent attempts. [/Edit]

-a.

I came here looking for help because of the exact same thing. I used Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey and saw no swelling after 3+ hours. After 4 hours and when my wort was 75° I finally poured the package contents in the wort and mixed it up. It has been about 24 hours and I have seen no bubbling action. I guess I'll give it a day or two.
[First post!]

Rather than speculate or worry that somehtings wrong when it isn't.

From the horse's mouth.
From the Wyeast FAQ website:

3. Does the package need to be fully swollen before pitching?

No, The package can be pitched before activating, or at anytime during the activation process. The activation process "jump starts" the culture's metabolism, minimizing the lag phase.

USING LIQUID YEAST

The most common form of liquid yeast available to home brewers is Wyeast, which comes in a foil packet (often referred to as a "smack-pack"). The packet contains instructions for popping the inner pouch to start the yeast growth. This is usually done the day before brewing, unless the Wyeast packet is more than a month old. For each month beyond one month, pop the package an additional day in advance of brewing, up to 4 days. Thus, if your packet is two months old, pop the yeast two days before brewing; if it is six months old, pop the yeast 4 days before brewing.

The Wyeast smack-packs come in two sizes, 50 ml and 175 ml. The smaller 50 ml pack will require 12 to 36 hours after pitching for visable fermentation to begin. For faster fermentation, a starter is recommended with these packages (click here to find out how to make a yeast starter).

The larger, 175 ml pack is becoming very popular as visable fermentation can start in as little as 6 hours, although it usually takes from 12 to 24 hours.

Using Pitchable Liquid Yeast

I have used mostly Wyeast Activators since I started brewing. I've had a few that didn't swell...or not much. I just pitched them anyway (since, as "Revvy's" post states, the FAQ says the pack won't necessarily swell) and the batch fermented out fine.

As far as smacking the pack the first time, I read a method on this forum that works for me first time, every time.

1. Take the plastic pack, grab hold of a corner with one hand and run it diagonally down a rigid, right-angle edge, like the edge of a table, bench or counter while pressing down on the pack along the table/bench/counter edge.

2.The liquid yeast inside will squirt past the edge, but the nutrient pack inside the bigger envelope will be forced into a corner.

3. You now have the nutrient pack "cornered," and a nice sharp smack with the heel of the hand will pop it every time.

4. This is a LOT simpler to do than it is to describe.

Rather than speculate or worry that somehtings wrong when it isn't.

From the horse's mouth.

Yeah, that's even on the back of the package, but I have 2 friends that also home brew and they always seem to get the swelling that everybody talks about. Also, it is only my second batch and my confidence isn't quite here yet. I am planning on using a yeast starter for my next batch, so this shouldn't be an issue in the future. Now to find a good set of instructions.

Well, it came time to pitch the yeast, and when i opened it, sure enough the bag inside had no popped. So I pulled out the little bag, opened it, mixed all of the solution together and pitched it. Hopefully this will work!

I'm curious to what was the outcome. I just did the same thing. First time using liguid yeast. I'm attempting a barley wine, and I don't want to wait until Christmas to find out that I have a pot of nasty pond water.

I'm curious to what was the outcome. I just did the same thing. First time using liguid yeast. I'm attempting a barley wine, and I don't want to wait until Christmas to find out that I have a pot of nasty pond water.

Well, you're making a Barleywine, I sure as hell hope you are making at least a 1/2 gallon starter for it.

If you are making a starter, like I said earlier, it doesn't matter that the packet broke or not. You'll be making 1) enough yeast to brew that barleywine so it doesn't tastes like pond water, 2) Ensuring your yeast is viable, so you won't have to worry.

If you were just planning to pitch that single packet, your beer would prolly taste like podwater regardless of whether or not the pack expanded.

Really? I have a Mr Beer home brew kit so I'm only brewing about 2 gallons of beer. I bought their Novacain recipe and it came with 4.25 oz packet of yeast. It has been 2 days and there is foamy bubbles on top of the beer. I plan on fermenting for 3 weeks before testing. Anything I should do now? Maybe plan on an extra week of fermenting?

Back