wyeast activator need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

html034

Reaction score
Hi, quick question. I have never used liquid yeast before, and just ordered 2 kits with wyeast activators. I get the gist of how they work (break the nutrient pack and the package swells) but here's the thing. The first package i got seemed fine to me, as far as I could tell, just a packet of liquid. But i got the second pack, and it has swollen up a bit. Now it is not massively swollen as i imagine it will be when i break the nutrient pack, but it does have a significant bubble of air filling the package, at least compared to the other one (since that's my only basis for comparison). But the nutrient pack appears to still be intact because i can feel it moving around in the pack. Is this just a normal packaging variation or has something happened to my yeast pack? I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but i have no experience with liquid yeast, and I am concerned.

I'd say break it and see what happens. If it swells up even more, you're fine. I haven't done too many brews using the activator packs so I can't tell you if I've ever seen variations, but I'm sure they're bound to happen.

it probably got warmed and expanded. it happens. yeast is probably fine.

it'd be EXTREMELY wise to make a starter for the one that already swelled up, so you'll know without a doubt whether its still viable or not.

I had this happen with a belgian wit pack, and it turned out fine, and I used a starter.

i'm a rookie but just used an activator last weekend...you will know if it's active based on how much it swells up, if the bigger one doesnt do much then you might have a problem, but if you can feel the pouch my bet would be you are ok.

I use Wyeast frequently, and have noticed some packs seemed slightly inflated when I got them. They always perform just fine once I break the inner packet.

my second activator pack came in swelled up like a balloon. called ahbs and they said it should stll be viable. i'm for sure going to use a starter on this one!

thanks for the input guys, i must start making starters next time so i dont have to worry about these things:D

Back