wyeast 3942 blond

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrea93

Reaction score
hi! i'd like to brew a beer using wyast 3942. Since this yeast is spicy, and a bit sour (somebody says like green apple), i've thought to brew a rustic belgian blond. I will use english hops for a earthy and spicy contribution to the party and a bit of flaked rye for a rustic contribution.
It will not be a classic belgian blond but it's not important, probably it will be a hybrid of a belgian blonde and a saison. Here there is the recipe:

5 gallon
og:1067 ibu:34 srm:4,3
efficiency:65%

12.5lb belgian pils (85%)
2lb flaked rye (15%)
10oz rice hulls
0.5oz challenger 60min
0.75oz challenger 15 min
0.75oz progress 15min
0.75oz challenger flameout
0.75oz progress flameout

wyeast 3942
mash step: 30 min @110F, 30min@127F, 60 min @150F, 10 min @172F

my questions are:
1) i'm looking for not overpowering of yeast to hops and vice versa, do you think the amount of hops (especially for a observable flavor, not belgian ipa level at all) is enough?
2) do you think other malts are necessary?
3) any critique?

Since the apparent attenuation is between 72% and 76% for that yeast, even though I've noticed with a lot of the belgian yeasts they'll blow past the 75% mark pretty easy unless they're in a monster beer, have you considered a little sugar, not much, maybe like 8oz or so of basic table sugar? Just to dry it out a tiny bit. Then again the sugar may draw out more of the apple sourness so you could skip it entirely, just a suggestion if you hadn't thought of using any sugar to bump it up and dry it out just a tiny bit.

Since the apparent attenuation is between 72% and 76% for that yeast, even though I've noticed with a lot of the belgian yeasts they'll blow past the 75% mark pretty easy unless they're in a monster beer, have you considered a little sugar, not much, maybe like 8oz or so of basic table sugar? Just to dry it out a tiny bit. Then again the sugar may draw out more of the apple sourness so you could skip it entirely, just a suggestion if you hadn't thought of using any sugar to bump it up and dry it out just a tiny bit.

yes, i've considered table sugar and i'm uncertain about using it. i'd like to have a medium body, so i'd say no sugar, but the possibility to increase the apple sourness is interesting.
i could use it, and mashing a bit hotter.

yes, i've considered table sugar and i'm uncertain about using it. i'd like to have a medium body, so i'd say no sugar, but the possibility to increase the apple sourness is interesting.
i could use it, and mashing a bit hotter.

Yeah, mostly as a thought, when I think Belgian fermentables, I think sugar. You may end up with higher than normal attenuation regardless of adding any sugar, you could use sugar later to adjust if you find you get a stuck fermentation or it just tastes too sweet in general.

Back