Wyeast 3787 stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mappler

Reaction score
I've brewed a Belgian Quad on 12/21/2015. It has been in the fermenter since then. I pitched a 1700 ml starter, plus a second package of Wyeast 3787 on that day. Fermentation was going strong by the next morning.

I have a temperature control system for my fermenter. I started at 67 degrees for the first 18 hours. I then dropped temperature to 64 degrees for 2 days, and then ramped plus one degree per day up to 70 degrees where I left it for the last 5 weeks.

OG was 1.119
Current SG is 1.038

Beersmith estimates that FG should be 1.020, with 12.9% ABV.
I'm currently at 1.038, 10.9% ABV. Apparent attenuation calculates at 68%.
Wyeast 3787 should attenuate 74-78%, with alcohol tolerance 11%-12%

I've raised temperature to 75 degrees and gave things a good swirl. My question is this, what should I do with this beer?

With alcohol at 10.9%, that is essentially at the lower range for 3787. Wyeast says it will quit between 11-12%. The beer is too sweet, and probably needs to attenuate out a little more. The flavors are great, but too sweet. What next?

Thank you for any help,
-Matt

Assuming you're not using a refractometer to measure SG of a solution with alcohol in it, the only viable course of action at this point is to get another pack of yeast, make a 2L stirplate starter, and pitch the whole thing into the stuck beer when the starter hits peak activity.

Don't just dump another pack of yeast into the beer...the low oxygen, high alcohol environment is difficult to overcome unless you have gotten the yeast going through the replication phase first on the stirplate.

Assuming you're not using a refractometer to measure SG of a solution with alcohol in it, the only viable course of action at this point is to get another pack of yeast, make a 2L stirplate starter, and pitch the whole thing into the stuck beer when the starter hits peak activity.

Don't just dump another pack of yeast into the beer...the low oxygen, high alcohol environment is difficult to overcome unless you have gotten the yeast going through the replication phase first on the stirplate.

Thank you. I think I will get a starter going ASAP.
I used a hydrometer, not a refractometer..;)

Pitched the 2L starter yesterday afternoon. Strong airlock activity by the start of the Super Bowl. Still going strong this morning. Keeping my fingers crossed!

3787 is known to be finicky and get stuck. I usually start it about 66F for 3 days and then slowly warm up to 75 or higher. One stuck batch I roused and warmed to 80 before it woke up and finished. Pitching a high krausen starter should get you there, too. I would still warm it into the 70s.

Just a quick update. It has been 5 days since I pitched the starter (almost). Continuous bubbling in the airlock for all 5 days, but starting to slow down. I am holding the carboy at 80 degrees. Given that I only needed to come down 18 points, this seems like we (the yeast and I) are winning!

Ok, the results are in. I've seen no airlock activity for several days now. I thief'ed a sample today an took a reading. Gravity is now at 1.026! That calculates out to an alcohol percentage of 12.5%. I think that is going to be the final numbers for this beer. Warm and flat out of my hydrometer tube, this has an OUTSTANDING flavor. I am extremely happy with flavors this yeast created. Than you to everyone for your help.

-Matt

Back