Wyeast 3763 vs 3278

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker18

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to start my first sour this weekend, and going through some recipies, I have targeted Jamil's Flanders Red.
The recommendation in his book is the Wyeast 3763 Roeselare Blend, but Wyeast website recommends 3278 Belgian Lambic blend for the Flanders Reds. Anyone have an opinion which way to go, pros or cons. Not even sure if the LHBS carries both, but if they did, which way would you go.
And I plan on pitching an ordinary ale yeast (1056, 1272, 1450) to get things going for a few days and using the blend in a secondary for the final fermentation.

It depends on what you're going for. Have you tried Rodenbach Grand Cru? That's what the Roeselare blend will get you. I would also recommend Roeselare for Flanders style sours.

Yes I have had the Grand Cru. I am looking to get the black cherry taste like that. I got the LHBS to order in the Roeselare for me, so that is what I'm going with.

Back