Wyeast 3724 stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

augie21

Reaction score
I made a dark saison recently using the 3724 Saison strain. SG was 1.057 and after 3 days of not too vigorous fermentation, things look to be stuck in the 1.036 range. I've done some research and talked to the LHBS guys and it sounds like it's something that's not uncommon for the strain.

Fermentation temps have hovered around 76-80 as the weather has been a bit inconsistent here. I'm planning on repitching this same yeast in a 1L starter and wrapping a heat pad around it to try and bring the fermentation temp up to ~85f and see what happens.

I did just read something that concerned me a bit, though. Apparently given time, this yeast will do it's job. My question is, am I jumping the gun with potential ill effects? The LHBS guys didn't mention it, but I thought I'd source this out here as well. Thanks!

It has only been three days. Relax and let the yeast do its job. You can get the heat up and it will finish just give it time. I would not waste the money on extra yeast until you know that you really do have a problem. You are trying to fix a problem that probably does not exist.

3724 (dupont strain) does this, getting stuck in the 1.030's is pretty much normal.

you can either crank up the heat (like with your heating pad) and give it time - several weeks - or you can enlist another yeast to finish the job.

personally i don't have the patience to wait many weeks for dupont to do its thing, so after it stalls on me (and has contributed most of its flavors) i make a starter of 3711 and pitch it at high krausen. if you're a more patient brewer, just crank up the heat and forget about it for a month.

Thanks for the response! I kind of figured that would be the answer. I went ahead and made another 3724 starter that I'm waiting to let build up and I'm also going to crank the heat (already started that part).

It's going to be pretty funny if it gets stuck again since I used the same strain. Oh well. We'll see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back