WYEAST #3278 Lambic question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinrphillips

Reaction score
I know there have been lots of discussions if you can use WYEAST #3278 for primary fermentation, my question is if I do can I just age the lambic on the WYEAST #3278 for a year or so or should I change containers at some point. I want to make a lambic in a 5 gallon oak barrel and trying to figure out if I should just go right into the barrel with the lambic yeast mix or let it ferment a few weeks in a carboy before I go into the the barrel.

I'd let it ferment out before xfering to the barrel, but that doesn't mean you can't do it in the barrel. Is this a neutral barrel? If so the ratio for wood contact surface to beer is very high and will take a a year or 2 to mellow out the oak flavor. Also small barrels have less liquid cause more oxygen ingress so you may not want to keep it in the barrel that long. As a side note, you can def use it as primary.

I'd let it ferment out before xfering to the barrel, but that doesn't mean you can't do it in the barrel. Is this a neutral barrel? If so the ratio for wood contact surface to beer is very high and will take a a year or 2 to mellow out the oak flavor. Also small barrels have with less liquid cause more oxygen ingress so you may not want to keep it in the barrel that long. As a side note, you can def use it as primary.

Thanks maybe it would be better to put it in a carboy for a few months and them move it to the barrel for a bit too. I dont care about aging, if anything I want to work on oak technique and also its time to sour the barrel as well. I do understand what you are talking about though with volume and oxygen, I dont want too much acetic acid. I have had something else in the barrel for the last 6 months (cider) and just want to move the barrel to a sour tool and get the bugs in it.

I don't have the space for a barrel, but if I did, I would suggest the following:
Ferment in a carboy/bucket with Saccharomyces, cold crash and siphon to barrel to limit trub accumulation.
Inoculate with mixed culture in barrel. Limit beer to 3-6 months of contact time (depending on age of barrel, complexity of base beer, etc).
Rack beer to finishing vessel (carboy) for fruit additions or long-term aging.

Over time your barrel will build character and most likely contribute more sensible acidity vice oak character over time.

I hear you can wax the outside of the barrel to help with oxygen. Also I really have very limited experience with wood but I would assume that if this barrel is pretty neutral that you shouldn't have much of an issue with wood flavor dominating even in a 5 gallon barrel.

Check out The Sour Hour podcast episode 15 or 16. There is a guy on there that talks about the best ways to use smaller barrels for sours.

I just started a Lambic style beer today with Roeselare and the mini starter I had going smelt great as I went to pitch it today. I put mine in a carboy, and I plan to leave it there.

Good luck with yours.

Back