Wyeast 2565 Kolsch at higher temp?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started a kolsch this evening using 2565, first time using the strain and we're getting unusually warm temps this spring. I don't use temp control for cooling and rely on cooler basement temp plus the occasionally use of a swamp cooler. Ambient is about 63 F on the concrete floor right now, so fermentation might reach 66-69F. A lot warmer than the recommended low 60s for this lager-like strain.

Brewers that know this yeast, can I expect an estery beer at warmer temps and will a diacetyl rest do anything to clean it up? I'd like a clean beer if possible. Worst case scenario I can rig a swamp cooler tomorrow, but I'd rather not. Thanks in advance for your input.

dmtaylor

Lord Idiot the Lazy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't tried fermenting warm with this yeast.... but I bet it will turn out just fine. Try it and see what happens. You won't need a diacetyl rest, I can tell you that.

OP
rhys333

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I'm just going to let it do its thing and I might still raise the temp a few days on completion just to make sure its done. Then back down to ambient a few days, bottle, carb, then "lager" in the fridge. Pretty much like all my other ales, but with more time in the fridge. All I can do really without cold side temp control...

HausBrauerei_Harvey

Reaction score
I'm also curious how this turns out. I love 2565 but my tried and true method is ferment at 60F for 2 weeks, raise temp to 70F over 3rd week and hold for a few days. It makes a great beer. I use a thermowell so the wort temp is really 60F.

I'm betting 63F ambient will be fine, but let us know.

OP
rhys333

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm also curious how this turns out. I love 2565 but my tried and true method is ferment at 60F for 2 weeks, raise temp to 70F over 3rd week and hold for a few days. It makes a great beer. I use a thermowell so the wort temp is really 60F.

I'm betting 63F ambient will be fine, but let us know.
I do think it'll be mid to high 60s with this crazy warm weather we're getting. I'll do a full week at 70 after FG and hope for the best. I'll report back with taste test results for sure.