Wyeast 2352 Munich Lager II

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osagedr

Recovering from Sobriety
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Part of the spring's lineup of PC yeast strains. I'm looking forward to getting this into something like a Maibock or even a Helles.

Anyone got any experience with this strain or know its brewery of origin?

Wyeast 2352-PC Munich Lager II Yeast

Beer Styles: Lager, Oktoberfest/Marzen, Munich Dunkel, Schwarzbier, Traditional Bock, Maibock/Hellesbock, Dopplebock, Eisbock

Profile: From a famous brewery in Munich, this strain is a low diacetyl and low sulfur aroma producer. An excellent choice for malt driven lagers.

Alc. Tolerance 10% ABV
Flocculation Medium
Attenuation 72-74%
Temp. Range 52-62°F (11-16°C)

Part of the spring's lineup of PC yeast strains. I'm looking forward to getting this into something like a Maibock or even a Helles.

Anyone got any experience with this strain or know its brewery of origin?

Wyeast 2352-PC Munich Lager II Yeast

Beer Styles: Lager, Oktoberfest/Marzen, Munich Dunkel, Schwarzbier, Traditional Bock, Maibock/Hellesbock, Dopplebock, Eisbock

Profile: From a famous brewery in Munich, this strain is a low diacetyl and low sulfur aroma producer. An excellent choice for malt driven lagers.

Alc. Tolerance 10% ABV
Flocculation Medium
Attenuation 72-74%
Temp. Range 52-62°F (11-16°C)

I do not know anything about it but would also like to know it's origin.

The 11-16C ferment range is interesting.

I don't buy the low end of that temp range personally. I will use a stepped up starter to get to a big cell count then let 'er go at 48 and I bet it will be fine. Only thing will be to keep an eye on the gravity when it gets into the high 1.020s to time the temp increase correctly.

Gonna try this one in a kit I am making for my inlaws (Brewhouse Light Canadian Lager). For the hell of it I am gonna do three of those kits: one with 34/70, one with S-189, and one with 2352 just to see how they differ.

Gonna try this one in a kit I am making for my inlaws (Brewhouse Light Canadian Lager). For the hell of it I am gonna do three of those kits: one with 34/70, one with S-189, and one with 2352 just to see how they differ.

Sweet! I was thinking of trying the 2352 out with the AG Bavarian Helles kit that NB is selling now. Lagers are a lot of work but definitely worth the reward.

They aren't carbed yet, but in a side-by-side comparison with 34/70, the former is clearly maltier and the latter drier. Didn't end up using the S-189. I also found this yeast does not really like the lower temperatures 34/70 handles easily. I would't go under 50 with this one again.

Picked up this yeast yesterday and going to brew an Octoberfest with it next weekend. So what temperature did you end up fermenting at? Was planning on typical modified Narziss fermentation, starting at 44F and letting rise to 50F over the first day and then fermenting at 50F until about 3/4 done and raising to 68F for a diacetyl rest.

Picked up this yeast yesterday and going to brew an Octoberfest with it next weekend. So what temperature did you end up fermenting at? Was planning on typical modified Narziss fermentation, starting at 44F and letting rise to 50F over the first day and then fermenting at 50F until about 3/4 done and raising to 68F for a diacetyl rest.

The only way I would be brave enough to do that is if I were pitching huge...like HUGE: 1.5 million cells per ml per degree Plato. And after using this yeast I probably even wouldn't do it then. I am making an Oktoberfest myself this weekend, target OG 1.057, and plan to use 2352 slurry (third generation). I will ferment it at 52.

There is just no point at all to taking a chance of getting stuck. The minimum temperature stated by Wyeast for this yeast is 52...so, based on my own experience, I can really see no reason to go lower than that. There really is nothing to be gained.

If you want to start fooling around in the mid to low 40's, pick a yeast that likes it there--like W-34/70 (Wyeast 2142) which I've gone cold with myself a number of times. Make yourself a nice pilsner or something. But with 2352 I really suggest 52 (ambient maybe more like 50). Your d-rest plan is smart--lagers don't always need them but again...it's a crapload of trouble if you don't do one and end up with diacetyl in your finished beer.

Good luck!

I'm fermenting a Octoberfest at 55 with this yeast, and I'm surprised by the sulphur is throwing. Pretty strong

My FC is filled with an O-fest right now, but the basement is a constant 56 year round. Do you think this yeast could handle 56 ambient while still retaining its clean, lager qualities? If so, I may brew another lager instead of having to wait until the O-fest is done lagering.

You could give it a try. The temp range is listed as 52-62.

Tasted my O-fest split batch last night. Both were nice, but I liked the S-189 batch better than the 2352 batch.

osagedr said:
You could give it a try. The temp range is listed as 52-62.

Tasted my O-fest split batch last night. Both were nice, but I liked the S-189 batch better than the 2352 batch.

S189 is my favorite dry strain by far. Super clean, but still malty. I use it in pilsner and helles quite a bit. I just used the Munich lager 2 in a octoberfest, but its still lagering. We'll see how it compares.

Yeah, the S-189 is good. For that matter, I've had great luck with all the Saflagers I've used.

2352 seems okay, but I won't be going out of my way to use it again.

2352 seems okay, but I won't be going out of my way to use it again.

Really? That's a little disappointing. I just made a 1-gal starter with it for my Helles brew next weekend. Maybe I missed it in your post, but what didn't you like about it?

I plan to ferment at 50-52 degrees unless there are other opinions out there.

Really? That's a little disappointing. I just made a 1-gal starter with it for my Helles brew next weekend. Maybe I missed it in your post, but what didn't you like about it?

I plan to ferment at 50-52 degrees unless there are other opinions out there.

I don't recall saying I didn't like it; I just didn't find anything special about it. Wouldn't hesitate to use it again, but also wouldn't make a special effort to do so. Had a beer made with it at dinner tonight and it was nice.

Temp range is 52-62 so I can't see any reason to go cooler than that.

My brewing buddy and I tasted our split-batch Oktoberfest (S-189 and 2352) last night when I started the d-rest. I have a strong preference for the 189 but he went nuts for the 2352. If I had more time I would do a Vienna right away (I have a sack of Weyermann Vienna malt that needs to go away) then re-pitch the slurry from both. The 2352 is third generation IIRC.

Local brewery uses this exclusively. FWIW I looked on their website and it said they pitch at 46 and it takes forever to ferment.

HokieBrewer said:
Local brewery uses this exclusively. FWIW I looked on their website and it said they pitch at 46 and it takes forever to ferment.

They might pitch at 46, but I bet they let it rise to 52-55

osagedr said:
My brewing buddy and I tasted our split-batch Oktoberfest (S-189 and 2352) last night when I started the d-rest. I have a strong preference for the 189 but he went nuts for the 2352. If I had more time I would do a Vienna right away (I have a sack of Weyermann Vienna malt that needs to go away) then re-pitch the slurry from both. The 2352 is third generation IIRC.

I tried a octoberfest that used 2352 last night. While it was very good, it wasn't as clean as s189. Ill repitch it in a helles, but I'm not going to pay more for it than I pay for the saflager.

I fermented at 11c and it went from 1054 down to 1020 in 7 days, I then proceeded to do a D.rest by raising it slowly to 14.5c over 48 hrs and it finished at 1010 by 10 days.

Its starts pretty fast, ferments pretty fast as well. It does throw some sulphur gas in the initial part of fermentation but it doesnt stay in the beer, don't panic if u smell rotten eggs in the fridge or basement. There wasn't much noticeable diacetyl or sulphur in the beer at day 7, but i decided that raising the temperature would encourage the yeast to clean the beer up better. This yeast does floculate pretty well if you crash chill it (My starter wort looked almost filtered).

Okay, here is where it matters. Taste wise, it is not exactly clean and does come across a little fruity/estery (Taste and aroma) even though i fermented at the lowest recommended end. I believe it wasnt really recommended for clean pilsners but more of the stronger darker german beers where these characteristics may fit in well as interesting, but definitely not in a clean crisp lager.

Pros
Fast fermenting
Little off flavours produced during early fermentation
Some esters good for darker beers

Cons
Not clean for classic pilsner
A little uninspiring... Okay-above average but definitely not great

*edit
Oh I mashed at 64c and it does attenuate pretty strong. If using for the darker or stronger beers, I think its better to mash at 66c

weiht said:
I fermented at 11c and it went from 1054 down to 1020 in 7 days, I then proceeded to do a D.rest by raising it slowly to 14.5c over 48 hrs and it finished at 1010 by 10 days.

Its starts pretty fast, ferments pretty fast as well. It does throw some sulphur gas in the initial part of fermentation but it doesnt stay in the beer, don't panic if u smell rotten eggs in the fridge or basement. There was much noticeable diacetyl or sulphur in the beer at day 7, but i decided that raising the temperature would encourage the yeast to clean the beer up better. This yeast does floculate pretty well if you crash chill it (My starter wort looked almost filtered).

Okay, here is where it matters. Taste wise, it is not exactly clean and does come across a little fruity/estery (Taste and aroma) even though i fermented at the lowest recommended end. I believe it wasnt really recommended for clean pilsners but more of the stronger darker german beers where these characteristics may fit in well as interesting, but definitely not in a clean crisp lager.

Pros
Fast fermenting
Little off flavours produced during early fermentation
Some esters good for darker beers

Cons
Not clean for classic pilsner
A little uninspiring... Okay-above average but definitely not great

*edit
Oh I mashed at 64c and it does attenuate pretty strong. If using for the darker or stronger beers, I think its better to mash at 66c

Those were my thoughts as well. Its not a classic clean lager strains. I was going to repitch to a helles, but thought better of it. Ill just brew up a Bock with it, and lager till winter.

I have a Helles going with 2352, this is day 7 of fermentation at 53 degrees. Just checked gravity at it's right at 1.030, from 1.049 OG. I expected it to be lower based on the last post. And fermentation took less than 24 hours to start after I pitched a 1-gal starter.

I definitely can smell the sulphur though when I open the fridge.

I don't want to miss the opportunity to do a d-rest, I thought I would've started it by now but I'm waiting for the gravity to drop a little lower. (I don't trust my taste buds to check for diacytel, so I always do one regardless for my lagers)

The posts aren't very encouraging about this yeast, but I'm still hopeful that I'll get a winner!

I tasted two more last night made with this yeast; probably not the right choice if you are looking for "clean" but some nice complexities for something like a Bock; I even think the Oktoberfest I used it in will be okay; I will have to think about doing a Helles where I think it would do okay as well. I'll either do a Helles then a Doppelbock and call it good at about generation 5-6 or maybe just the Doppelbock.

osagedr said:
I tasted two more last night made with this yeast; probably not the right choice if you are looking for "clean" but some nice complexities for something like a Bock; I even think the Oktoberfest I used it in will be okay; I will have to think about doing a Helles where I think it would do okay as well. I'll either do a Helles then a Doppelbock and call it good at about generation 5-6 or maybe just the Doppelbock.

My octoberfest is in the keg, and will be lagering for the next 4 months. Tastes good, but I agree its not as "clean" as most other German strains. Its good, but not my favorite.

I am lagering a Helles right now with Wyeast 2352 and planning to brew a second one within the next couple of months. The summer was exceptionally hot, so I'm only now getting around to playing with this strain.

I did a two-stage starter, with stage 2 pitched at high Kräusen into approximately 52 degree wort. I want to say fermentation topped out at 56 degrees or so, and then I allowed it to free rise to 65 for a diacetyl rest after about 7 days of primary. OG was 1.046.

I just tasted the hydro sample over the weekend prior to lagering, and I thought it was pretty clean. The proof will, of course, be in the final, lagered, carbonated product, but so far I'm pleased.

I bought two packages a month or so ago that I am going to use in a Munich Helles tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing how it works.

What was the production date? IIRC it's been awhile since Wyeast was making this. I really hope you got enough yeast cells pitched.

To be honest with you I didn't look at the manufacture date. Looking back, I ordered them 2-3 months ago. I did make a 1.5 l starter with both packs. I'll just have to wait and see how it goes. I do have wl 830 just in case.

Kind of disappointed with the yeast. Used recommended pitching rate, and got down to 1.013 from 1.05. Really quite buttery in smell and taste. Did a d rest for a full three days as well. Hopefully, more lagering will do the trick. But, I'm not holding my breath.....

Kind of disappointed with the yeast. Used recommended pitching rate, and got down to 1.013 from 1.05. Really quite buttery in smell and taste. Did a d rest for a full three days as well. Hopefully, more lagering will do the trick. But, I'm not holding my breath.....

Have you tried the finished product yet? This yeast gave me a 1.1013 beer from 1.050 as well, and I was curious if the gravity drops during lagering, or if the yeast cleans up the beer flavors any more. Mine still has another couple of weeks of lagering before it's ready to try.

I ended up taking it off of gas and pitching some WL 830. It went down anther 5 gravity points and the butter taste is gone. Going to let it lager and clear for another couple of months. But I think the batch will is saved.

I posted b4 on this yeast, and didnt like it that much for a pale lager/pilsner. It's been years since I used it, and am using it again for a Smoked Bock which I'm calling B.Bock and Rauchsteady :p

I stepped this up from my slant, and I pitched it at 16c due to being a little short on pitching rate, and slowly chill the wort to 10.5c. I'm planning to raise it to 13c once it's 50-60% through fermentation and then do a D.rest at 16c once I hit 75% fermentation.

Hopefully it shine for malty lagers.

I posted b4 on this yeast, and didnt like it that much for a pale lager/pilsner. It's been years since I used it, and am using it again for a Smoked Bock which I'm calling B.Bock and Rauchsteady :p

I stepped this up from my slant, and I pitched it at 16c due to being a little short on pitching rate, and slowly chill the wort to 10.5c. I'm planning to raise it to 13c once it's 50-60% through fermentation and then do a D.rest at 16c once I hit 75% fermentation.

Hopefully it shine for malty lagers.

You'll have to put that beer in overdrive.

Back