Wyeast 2308 Munich lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaggy

Reaction score
Ok so this is the second smack pack of wyeast in a row that when smacked swelled up like a balloon in 2 hrs... Umkay looks great. So a 2 L starter made and noticed a foam cap started forming 3 hrs later looks to be going well.
So its spinning away for next 6 hrs and noticed that foam cap is reaching up to the bottom of the foam stopper. I switched it out for a bubbler and rubber stopper. 12 hrs later i had to shut off the stir plate due to foaming into bubbler. The next morning all is quiet and spun it up and foam sprayed right out and all over the table.... Wow wth! I guess I'm done. Popped it into lager fridge to crash it some to get down below pitch temps...
My point to this story is I have never seen such a thing with a starter. Although no vast experience here but have been brewing nonstop about a year and a half. Every beer gets a starter so was wondering if any of you have this happen. For crap sake the pitching of yeast should be the easy part... And shouldn't be so darn messy
Pitched into 48* wort for an Oktoberfest and activity 12 hrs later...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I loved this stuff in my okto. It really accents the Munich malts, which is what I love about it. What was your recipe?

I don't remember the starter being so vigorous. I'll have to check my notes.

I just made a 2-step starter with 2308, for a Rauchbier I plan to brew this Saturday. It's my first time using the yeast--first time lager, in fact. I added a drop of Fermcap, so didn't get any overflow of krausen. But I was impressed by the smackpack swelling up in just 2 hours, and how quickly the starter took off. I have the second step cold-crashing in the fridge now.

I have a starter of this going right now, and it's pretty active too! I'm glad I have adequate head space in the container. This will also be used for my first lager.

I loved this stuff in my okto. It really accents the Munich malts, which is what I love about it. What was your recipe?

I don't remember the starter being so vigorous. I'll have to check my notes.

OG 1.054 projected FG 1.013
Ibu 27.9. 14.3 SRM
5.5 gal

9.5 lbs Munich malt
1.5 Vienna malt
.5 caramunich
.5 crystal 40L
60 min boil hops 1 oz hallertaur
45 min tettnang .33 oz
30 hallertaur .75 oz
Irish moss at 10 min
2308 Munich lager yeast

Infused water to get acid and protein rest
Acid rest 20 min at 105*f
Protein rest 15 min at 122*f

First decoction to get 145*f at 45 min
Second decoction to 152*f 35 min( more like 38 min) missed my temp and had to pull another decoction additional time is reflected in the 45 min beta rest
Last and final thin mash decoction to get mash out 167*f
Fly sparged for 35 mins total
Each decoction with the exception of the last included a rest at 145 and 154 respectively for 15 min each time

My efficiency is rather low 72% or so... Adjusted and accounted for that

Starter in a 2 l flask with 180g of dme with 2 packs wyeast 2308

OG 1.054 projected FG 1.013
Ibu 27.9. 14.3 SRM
5.5 gal

9.5 lbs Munich malt
1.5 Vienna malt
.5 caramunich
.5 crystal 40L
60 min boil hops 1 oz hallertaur
45 min tettnang .33 oz
30 hallertaur .75 oz
Irish moss at 10 min
2308 Munich lager yeast

Infused water to get acid and protein rest
Acid rest 20 min at 105*f
Protein rest 15 min at 122*f

First decoction to get 145*f at 45 min
Second decoction to 152*f 35 min( more like 38 min) missed my temp and had to pull another decoction additional time is reflected in the 45 min beta rest
Last and final thin mash decoction to get mash out 167*f
Fly sparged for 35 mins total
Each decoction with the exception of the last included a rest at 145 and 154 respectively for 15 min each time

My efficiency is rather low 72% or so... Adjusted and accounted for that

Starter in a 2 l flask with 180g of dme with 2 packs wyeast 2308

Don't know why this posted twice ...humm weird

Seems like a fast fly sparge! You try slowing it down to bump efficiency?

Yeah i know... But last several times efficiency was the same with an 50min and upwards to an hour fly sparge... So i don't know.but what ever is only another pound or so extra grains...not a big deal

Yeast pitched at 48*f and settled out at around 49-50*f held for next 6 days... Test gravity 1.034
Bumped temp up 3*f to 53-54. Increased bubbler activity
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417939326.033686.jpg
Check out the Afro bubbler
Next scheduled increase of 3 degrees following morning

Goal here is to get this Oktoberfest grain to keg in less than 30 days..... We'll see how it goes

Encouraged so far

I brewed my Rauch yesterday and was able to get the wort down to 50. My tap water is 54, but I used my extra IC in a 5 gallon bucket of ice water as a pre-chiller.

I pitched and set it in my ferm chamber with the controller set at 52. That was at 2PM, and at 10PM no noticeable signs of fermentation. As of this morning it's fermenting nicely, with about 1" of krausen.

CAM00640_zpsdb0b3bb7.jpg

Based on my observation in the starter, that yeast flocs very tightly. After I decanted yesterday, I left a little spent wort in the erlenmeyer flask. I had to swirl for about a full minute just to get the yeast unstuck from the bottom.

Same here....hehe! I find it interesting the temp fluctuation between 54 and 55. At 54 foam Afro falls down and at 55 the Fro come back.... Too funny..... I'm going to max outta 56-57 for another couple a days the check gravity if 75% done start the D rest for a couple days.
Next step will be slow reduction to cold crash temps about 32* for a week or so. The to secondary to settle out another week
Transfer to keg to carb up and let set a week and we shall see

Ok today TG is......... 1.015 well estimated its between 14 and 16 and I'm 8 days into primary fermentation . D rest has been initiated ... Hopefully not too late but no diacytal noted so think its all good.... Smelled wonderful during ferment and taste is very promising.

In a Marzen what do you all think a good ending gravity should be?

Well then perfectly in the middle at 1.013... In 9 days....what a fabulous yeast! The sample pulled last night was left in the tube and has settled out the suspended yeast and is rather clear being only 9 days old.

Taste is outstanding... Best beer made to date and clearest ever....due to make a repeat this week.

Bump time. I'm on the second step of a 3 litre starter with my 2308 and on both steps I can't believe how aggressively this stuff has taken off. Bubbles within an hour and fully fermented out within a day. The flocculation is particularly impressive, when I turned off the stir plate it was like watching large flakes of snow settle to the bottom. I don't think I'll have trouble getting a clear lager from this strain.

After a 10 day diacetyl rest starting at 1.012 I ended up with an FG of 1.007 for an attenuation of 83%; somewhat higher than Wyeast's range of 70-74%. I always seem to hit the 80s with my attenuation regardless of yeast strain if I mash at around 150.

Back