Wyeast 2112 vs 1056

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patchedboard

Reaction score
So as we move towards winter in the northland I usually either have to heat my beer room in my basement for adequate fermentation temps or hold off on brewing. I was wondering about wyeast 2112 though, how much different is it from 1056? The temp range would work great for my basement.

2112 is a much more malt forward strain, whereas 1056 will accentuate hops more.

I'd use the 1056 for hop forward ales (actually, I'd use 1272 because it leaves a little more malt, though perhaps isn't as neutral in terns of esters), and 2112 for malty faux lagers and such. I haven't used it at the low end of it's temp abilities, but have found it to have a rather noticeable ester profile around 65f. 2124 would be another one to consider in place of 2112.

How cold is your basement in the winter. Maybe time to do some real lagers?

I've used both 1007 (German Ale) and 1728 (Scottish Ale) for ale fermentations in the mid 50's with good results. I really like them both.

Maybe it's the Rush fan in me, but I would really like to find a reason to use that particular yeast in a Rush themed beer recipe.

Sorry for the off topic.

6.5% Tom Sawyer Amber Ale. 3 hops, three malts. 2112 yeast. Might be OK. Got to have a little edge to it.

Back