Wyeast 1581-PC Belgian Stout Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sockmerchant

Reaction score
This strain sounds interesting but can't see much info on what people actually thought of it. Is it a new one? Any thought?

From wyeast:

"Wyeast 1581-PC Belgian Stout Yeast
Beer Styles: Belgian Pale Ale, Belgian Specialty Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Triple and Quad, Belgian Strong Golden and Dark Ales, Belgian Blonde Ale, Saison
Profile: A very versatile ale strain from Belgium. Excellent for Belgian stout and Belgian Specialty ales. Ferments to dryness and produces moderate levels of esters without significant phenolic or spicy characteristics.
Alc. Tolerance 12% ABV
Flocculation Medium
Attenuation 70-85%
Temp. Range 65-75°F (18-24°C)"

I am guessing that no one has a brew that is done yet. It was released in January, so if you count for a long ferment, and long bottle condition, then no one has a brew that is done yet.

I am curious also about this yeast. I brew a lot of Belgians and may just try it soon.

I just bottled a Belgian Dark Strong with Wyeast Belgian Schelde yeast and would be interested in the same information with this strain.

I am guessing that no one has a brew that is done yet. It was released in January, so if you count for a long ferment, and long bottle condition, then no one has a brew that is done yet.

I am curious also about this yeast. I brew a lot of Belgians and may just try it soon.

Well seeing as most of their pc strains aren't once offs I thought it might have been released in a previous year :)

Might just grab some and see

I gots some at home right now.
Brewed a Dark Mild a few weeks ago, will be kegging it tonight.

I brewed an Oatmeal Stout and a dubbel with it. My impression is that it is a very clean (for a belgian) strain that can take some heat and leaves a malty impression. Does have an earthy note that doesn't go so great in the dubbel, but works ok enough in the stout, so heads up on that.

This strain sounds interesting but can't see much info on what people actually thought of it. Is it a new one? Any thought?

From wyeast: "Wyeast 1581-PC Belgian Stout Yeast
Beer Styles: Belgian Pale Ale, Belgian Specialty Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Triple and Quad, Belgian Strong Golden and Dark Ales, Belgian Blonde Ale, Saison
Profile: A very versatile ale strain from Belgium. Excellent for Belgian stout and Belgian Specialty ales. Ferments to dryness and produces moderate levels of esters without significant phenolic or spicy characteristics.
Alc. Tolerance 12% ABV
Flocculation Medium
Attenuation 70-85%
Temp. Range 65-75°F (18-24°C)"

I used Wyeast 1581 Belgian Stout to make an Allagash Black Clone. Highly recommend this yeast. It gives just enough aromas and esters to still have that Belgian feel to it, but it still fermented out REALLY dry and clean, and let the resulting beer have a fantastic malt and roast character. (I wouldn't use it for dubbel, blonde or trippel).

As long as this has come back to life...

I used 1581 on well, a stout. OG 1.085 brought it down to 1.020. Really liked the flavor profile. As stated above it has just enough esters and attenuated very well.

I just used it as well for a belgian stout on sour cherries. The base beer was pretty good before I added it to the cherries. I have been adding the dark malts at the end of the mash to all my dark beers lately so the smooth roast goes real well the belgian esters this one puts out. They are pretty subdued but I did ferment it pretty warm so if you did it cool I could imagine it being clean. There is a slight earthiness but it goes well with the dark malts. Have never had hercules (supposed to be where this strain came from) but I imagine I would enjoy it from my initial tastes with this beer.

I used Imperial B51 (the equivalent) and got REALLY clove phenolics in an amber. Good pitch rate and low temp (68F). I'm not sure what the deal is. It doesn't seem to match anyone else's experience...

Back