Wyeast 1450 (Denny's Fav) in a Scotch Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwightr8

Reaction score
Been trying to perfect a Scotch ale. I've been using Wyeast 1728 yeast but in reading about Wyeast 1450 it seems like it might be good for a scotch. I'm looking for a lot of malt and caramel flavors with good mouthfeel and fairly low on the hops.
I'm starting with a fairly high gravity (~1.085)
Any comments would be appreciated.

Dewey

My first thought is, being a low floccer, it might overattenuate. Yes, you can control that with mash temp adjustments, but it may not be the same.

With aging (you are planning to age a bigger beer like this, yes?), I get flavors from 1728 that I've tasted with no other yeast. Were this my beer, I wouldn't want to forego those.

1728 is the only yeast I've used for a SA so I really don't know any different. I try to age it for a few months but it's really hard not getting into it. What kind of temp would you suggest for the mash? I usually try for about 156F. My last batch started at 1.084 and finished at 1.022 so I wouldn't want any more attenuation as I like it to be a bit on the sweet side.

Dewey

Back