Wyeast 1335 English Ale slow to start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reinheitsgebot

Reaction score
Is this one of those Smack Packs that takes longer than others to start?

I pitched it last night at 11 and no signs yet - I know it is way too soon, I am just curious as I read other treads about some yeast strands that are slower than others.

On a side note, it took about 9 hours after smacking to show signs of swelling...

Thanks for your comments. I will be out of town for 4 days, so I am forced to be patient.....

I've never had any problems with it. I made a 1qt starter on a stir plate last Saturday and pitched around 2pm on Sunday. It started fermenting in about 4 hours.

I've now come here from a Google search on two separate occasions, so I'm going to post for the benefit of anyone else in my situation.

This holds true for all yeasts I'm sure, but if you're here because you've pitched 1335 and aren't seeing any activity in the air lock, flick the air lock to make sure it's not stuck (that was me this morning) and, if you're using a fermenting bucket, check the lid to make sure it's sealed all the way around (that was me two months ago).

I'm used to 1056 which seems to kick out gas like nobody's business and will blow the air lock apart even with a loosely-fitting bucket lid.

Back