Wyeast 1318 yeast harvesting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeStrandsBrewing

Reaction score
Hey, now -

I'm planning to use Wyeast 1318 in my next beer, and understand this is a top cropping yeast strain. Having no experience with this yeast, I am curious about re-use after brewing. Am I able to harvest from the slurry after fermentation, or, being a top cropping strain, is it best to harvest by skimming yeast at high krausen?

Or, can I harvest both ways from this single batch?

Thanks for any input you can provide!

Andy

I can tell you that I have reused the slurry 3 times and it works for me. I usually repitch within a week or less.:mug:

I have both skimmed after a few days and waited longer and harvested the slurry both ways have worked for me. I collect let it settle out in the fridge and make a a starter. I have noticed the yeast attenuate a little better with more use.

There is a thread somewhere on HBT that says wait until 50% attenuation on these top cropper yeasts then skim...otherwise wait for it to settle out.

I have harvested 1318 up to a month in primary with no problems and repitched a starter 2 months later. I love this strain - you don't have to just take it from the top once the yeast starts going. You can wait too.

I am on my 3rd generation 1318 harvest.

Back