Wyeast 1318 equivalent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehaze

Reaction score
Hello,

I have fallen in love with Wyeast 1318 London Ale III and was wondering if this yeast strain can be found with other yeast companies.

From what I could gather, Imperial A38 Juice would be a somewhat equivalent of the 1318 strain.

Has somebody heard anything about it?

PS: I read a comment once on this forum, I think, where somebody said that the Conan yeast will soon be available as dry yeast. That also sounds pretty interesting.

And a more productive post...

https://www.morebeer.com/products/white-labs-burlington-ale.html

This one is listed as a possible 1318 substitute, haven't personally used it though. Why are you trying to switch though? I love 1318 as well myself. You can just overbuild your starters, save the extra in a sanitized mason jar in the fridge and use that to make the next starter. People save yeast (under beer) for up to a year pretty easy...

And a more productive post...

https://www.morebeer.com/products/white-labs-burlington-ale.html

This one is listed as a possible 1318 substitute, haven't personally used it though. Why are you trying to switch though? I love 1318 as well myself. You can just overbuild your starters, save the extra in a sanitized mason jar in the fridge and use that to make the next starter. People save yeast (under beer) for up to a year pretty easy...

Thanks for the reply.

Not wanting to switch, but if I cannot get 1318 at a certain time, I would love to have some other options.

Thanks for the reply.

Not wanting to switch, but if I cannot get 1318 at a certain time, I would love to have some other options.

Well, see the rest of my comment then. There's literally no reason you can't maintain yeast in your fridge (if you don't have a fridge you're sol).

I have just started freezing yeast in 50mL tubes with glycerin/water to protect the yeast from damage. If you make a double step starter, freeze half the yeast into the appropriate vials for the amount you overbuild, then use the other half to pitch in the beer you are making.

When you are ready to use 1318 the next time, thaw out a tube and build you a new starter.

Do you need a step starter with these or just normal 1.030-1.040 starter?

I've never really understood the logic behind step starters, unless you are working with the tiniest amount of dregs, you're going to be fine pitching even a ml of dense slurry (like from a previous starter) into a 1 L starter. I do this every batch, no issues.

Do you need a step starter with these or just normal 1.030-1.040 starter?

I use a yeast calculator called BrewUnited. I tell the program about the beer I am making inc batch size and beer type such as ale or lager, also starting gravity. Then I decide how much of an overbuild I want....say 1 liter overbuild. Input my variables and it tells me how much yeast volume to use in my current beer, then how much volume to save for future uses. I'll crash and decant the overbuilt yeast, then freeze that yeast in vials with glycerin/water for later use. Treat the thawed vials like any liquid yeast and make a new starter from that vial when needed.

To answer your question: It would be rare not to build a step starter since I am generally trying to double my yeast production so I'll have half to save and half to pitch in the current beer. Lagers are twice the pitch rate of ales....so lagers may require to be stepped for one basic use not to include an overbuild. Also depends on the yeast vitality or how old it is. I have 2L and 3L flasks to farm yeast this purpose.

I give myself plenty of time before brew day to farm the yeast. I allow around 3 days per step since I like a full day to let the yeast get a firm cake under refrigeration before decanting. (2 days spinning/1 day crashing per step) Sounds like a PITA, but you'll save $8 for every vial you make yourself plus tax and/or shipping. This is the kind of thing you either enjoy doing or most rather just pay for the yeast and forget the hassle. I like this kind of thing I suppose.

**Please know this is my process and others may not agree with my methodology.

Back