Wyeast 1275 vs Wyeast 1469

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 70770

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew a classic British pub ale as my batch in august. I've brewed many English ales over the years with my usual goto, Wyeast 1099. It's been a good performer for me but I'm itching to try something new. I haven't nailed the grain bill for my next batch but it'll be something simple with MO and a little crystal malt. Maybe I'll throw in a little toasted malt as well but haven't decided yet.

Anyhow, I was interested in trying a new yeast. I was looking at the 1275 and the 1469. I was wondering if there are fans of either of those who can convince me either way. Basically gimme your best sales pitch on either of those strains. Thanks a bunch, looking forward to hearing what you guys come up with.

The strain you want is dependent upon your goals for the beer.

I have used both and find that the WY1275 gives me a more balanced, clean beer with very little fruity esters. It does not emphasize either hops nor malt flavors.

WY1469 produced a maltier beer emphasizing the bready, biscuit flavors of the English malts I used in all the recipes I brewed with it. It produced a bit more body and the beers finished a bit sweeter than I would expect with the WY1275.

So the answer is... What do you want?

Well I’ve been used to using 1099 which is a very characterful yeast with strong stone fruit presence (I get peach/apricot) and some pineapple. My beers have always been tasty using this yeast but the character of yeast can be a little overwhelming to the malt and hops.

I think for my next beer, I’m looking for something a bit less fruity. I want the final product to showcase the delicious English malts and hops a bit more. Some esters are still fine but dialed down a bit is what I’m looking for.

Back