Wyeast 1272 vs 1056

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJefe

Reaction score
I picked up Northern Brewer's Black IPA kit and decided I would buy the yeast locally here instead of getting it from them. The recipe calls for Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II), but the local shop only had Wyeast 1056 (American Ale).

I'm not necessarily concerned with flavor differences, but rather the flocculation. Apparently the 1272 is highly flocculant, and the 1056 is low/medium. Will this require me to keep the beer in a secondary longer to allow the yeast to settle out?

As a note:
I also bought their Double IPA kit which list the 1056 as the proper yeast, but also calls for 2 months in a secondary instead of 2 - 4 weeks. I don't want to pull the Black IPA out of secondary 4 weeks early :eek:, so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

I picked up Northern Brewer's Black IPA kit and decided I would buy the yeast locally here instead of getting it from them. The recipe calls for Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II), but the local shop only had Wyeast 1056 (American Ale).

I'm not necessarily concerned with flavor differences, but rather the flocculation. Apparently the 1272 is highly flocculant, and the 1056 is low/medium. Will this require me to keep the beer in a secondary longer to allow the yeast to settle out?

As a note:
I also bought their Double IPA kit which list the 1056 as the proper yeast, but also calls for 2 months in a secondary instead of 2 - 4 weeks. I don't want to pull the Black IPA out of secondary 4 weeks early :eek:, so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Dunno those kits. Presumably the DOuble IPA has a long secondary because it's a high gravity beer. If you wanna use an extended secondary and need to free up the fermenter, I'd say just buy one more fermenter for secondary.

As for 1272 vs 1056: I've made a ton of beers with 1056 and skip the secondary and bottle after 3 weeks in the primary. No troubles and the beers dropped bright for me. For me, I've noticed that if I use my usual 1 tsp of Irish Moss in the boil, make sure the calcium is above 50 in the water and leave the bottles alone for 3 weeks, the beer is totally clear with any yeast, including 1056.

Well I'm fresh out of irish moss and have no clue about calcium... but thanks for the response!

you'll be just fine w/the 1056... actually it will probably let the malt and hops come through a bit more.

Back