Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-boy

Reaction score
After 9 days it is still bubbling once every 15 seconds and has an 1 1/4" thick Karusen on top that wont seem to fall. Has anyone used this yeast before? Should I just wait till it falls before I move it to secondary? :ban:

Brew-boy said:
After 9 days it is still bubbling once every 15 seconds and has an 1 1/4" thick Karusen on top that wont seem to fall. Has anyone used this yeast before? Should I just wait till it falls before I move it to secondary? :ban:

I have a rye ale I'll be bottling tonight using that yeast. My fermentation did not exhibit what you're describing. Definately wait until the airlock activity slows down before racking. I had 76% attenuation in 6 days and the krausen fell properly.

What temp is it at?

That is a pretty good temp range, though kinda on the low side. That will slow the fermentation a bit - prolly add 3-5 days to standard. I prefer it that way. Seems the really fast fermentations (due to warmer temps >70) taste a little not to my liking...
I wouldn't worry about it, the krausen will tell you the story. If you just can't stand waiting, you could take a gravity reading. The books typically say that two days in a row with the same gravity reading indicate a complete fermentation.
Me, being 90% caveman, use the bubbles/krausen method, which hasn't failed me yet...

I love 1272 and use it a lot. I get a very active ferment with it every time, and usually my temp range is around the 68 degree area. Wyeast states 60-72 degrees, so you are fine. And like KnipKnup said, your 64-66 range probably slowed it some. I always let 1272 go until the krausen falls, then rack to the secondary. Yours will be fine.

Tony said:
I love 1272 and use it a lot. I get a very active ferment with it every time, and usually my temp range is around the 68 degree area. Wyeast states 60-72 degrees, so you are fine. And like KnipKnup said, your 64-66 range probably slowed it some. I always let 1272 go until the krausen falls, then rack to the secondary. Yours will be fine.

I'll second that on the 1272, this is the first time I used it on my Rye Pale Ale and wow. I'm glad I took a good 12 oz for my 'gravity sample'.

Bump on an old post, but my first experience with 1272 is doing the same. The initial Krausen was foamy during the active fermentation. Now that it's slowed to just bubbling, it's formed a higher, denser Krausen on days 4-6.

I normally primary for three weeks so I'm not worried about when to transfer, just making sure I didn't get a weird infection or something. Never had second krausen before.

Bump on an old post, but my first experience with 1272 is doing the same. The initial Krausen was foamy during the active fermentation. Now that it's slowed to just bubbling, it's formed a higher, denser Krausen on days 4-6.

I normally primary for three weeks so I'm not worried about when to transfer, just making sure I didn't get a weird infection or something. Never had second krausen before.

I'm having the exact same experience with WLP051 (WY1272) right now. From what I've read this appears to be somewhat normal.

How did yours turn out?

My experience with this yeast is that the first generation can take a while, but after that it's very fast. I can't get enough of it though; I've been using it in all my American ales.

My experience with this yeast is that the first generation can take a while, but after that it's very fast. I can't get enough of it though; I've been using it in all my American ales.

Thanks for the info, I finally got a 2nd fridge so now I have more storage space and I'm planning on washing this yeast.

This yeast rocks. I used White Labs WLP051 (same, Anchor yeast) for the beer below and it came out simply awesome.

Give it a go if you're bored:

Type: All Grain
Date: 5/16/2010
Batch Size: 23.50 L
Brewer: Matt
Boil Size: 31.08 L
Boil Time: 120 min
Equipment: RIMS and 10 gallon boiler
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

Ingredients

GRAIN:

6.20 kg Pale Malt (7.1 EBC) 88.57 %
0.25 kg Crystal Malt - 50 (50.0 EBC) 3.57 %
0.20 kg Crystal Malt -200 (200.0 EBC) 2.86 %
0.15 kg Crystal Malt -350 (350.1 EBC) 2.14 %
0.12 kg Melanoidin Malt (70.0 EBC) 1.71 %
0.08 kg Chocolate Malt (dehusked) (800.0 EBC) 1.14 %

HOPS:

28.00 g Nelson Sauvin-pellets-2009 [11.50 %] (75 min) 39.7 IBU
16.00 g Nelson Sauvin-whole-2009 [11.30 %] (10 min) 4.0 IBU
20.00 g Amarillo-pellets [8.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)
10.00 g Goldings, East Kent-pellets [4.80 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)

1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
California Ale V (White Labs #WLP051) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-harvested from previous batch

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Alcohol by Vol: 6.80 %
Bitterness: 43.7 IBU
Est Color: 36.9 EBC

Mash Profile

Sparge Water: 19.59 L
Sparge Temperature: 169.0 F
Mash PH: 5.4 PH

0 min Step Add 18.50 L of water 85.0 F
60 min Step 153.0 F
10 min Step 168.0 F

Water adjusted to reach this:

Ca 110
Mg 21
Na 7
Cl 66
SO4 54
Alkalinity as CaCO3 240
Residual Alkalinity 150
Chloride to Sulfate ratio 1.24, balanced.

Fermented at 65, left in primary for 20 days total, then bottled. Drinking very, very nicely now at 7.5 weeks in the bottle. The hops really come out in this one, with those Nelson Sauvins giving a nice edge to the hop component. Malt comes through nice and rich with the melanoidin malt definitely giving this an extra kick. And the yeast works great with this beer. Didn't dry it out too much. Some nice mouthfeel left there and a nice fruity note from the yeast. This is my current favorite of my beers.

Back