Wyeast 1214 slow to swell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclonebeer

Reaction score
I smacked my 1214 last night at 9:00 P.M., and now (10 hrs. later) it has not swelled. I plan on brewing a dubbel this morning and wonder if I should go ahead and pitch the yeast, or wait for signs of activation. I've seen in other posts that 1214 can be slow. Yeast was delivered UPS and was the last delivery of the day, so it sat in a brown truck all day at 80 deg. temps. Anybody have direct experience with 1214?
Thanks

I have used this yeast once. It was slow to swell.
I'd make a starter. Your dubbel is probably over 1.06 so you surely need one anyway.

brewed two batches with it... first time pitched the smack pack directly into the wort after 2 hours, it took 3 days to get going.

second time I made a 3 liter starter 2 days prior to pitching that one took off after 4 hours... :)

both brew finished nicely...

A brew buddy called me last weekend asking if I had a belgian yeast. I told him that I had a Wyeast 1214 but the date on it was May 2001. I smacked the pack and after three days it began to swell. After another 24 hours it was fully expanded and I made a starter this morning. This is not the first time I have had success with a Belgian yeast that was very old. I smacked a wyeast 3787 Trappist yeast that was 3.5 years out of date and it swelled up after 4 days. Those belgian yeasts are very resilient
On the other hand, I smacked a Wyeast 1968 Special London yeast that was six months out of date and it was stone dead even after a week at 70 drg. F.

I just started a brew with the Wyeast 1214. My startign sg was about 1.060. Smacked the 1214 Wyeast Pack, and no swelling after about 12 hours. Since I am very impatient, I pitched the starter anyway. After ready past threads, I see it may take a will to inflate the package.

Are there risks regarding the yeast propogation if I pitched the starter before it was ready? Please coment

Back