wyeast 1084 Irish ale???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly765

Reaction score
I'm planning a sweet stout using the 1084 but first want to make a "lighter beer" so i can wash the yeast & multiply it. Can i use this yeast with a lighter beer?

Something very plain I was thinking with just like 2 row & something else. My ferment temps will probably be around 75F. That's just out of the reccommended range. Would this be OK?

Why don't you just make a starter? If you are buying the yeast in a smack pack, it is already sterile and won't need washing, as long as you transfer it to a sanitized bottle and boil the dme/water before adding it to the bottle.

Why don't you just make a starter? If you are buying the yeast in a smack pack, it is already sterile and won't need washing, as long as you transfer it to a sanitized bottle and boil the dme/water before adding it to the bottle.

Because i want to multiply it to 5 batches of yeast.

My ferment temps will probably be around 75F.

No experience with that strain, but I'd strongly encourage you to try to keep it under 70 until it's been active for a day or two.

With losses, you're not likely to get 5 normal-gravity-5-gallon pitches of slurry from your first generation off a single smack pack. 2 or 3 is more realistic.

I also am preferring to make small beers rather than big starters. WCPL #2 and Soba Blonde in my .sig are small batches made to grow yeast.

Back