Wyeast 1084 and Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyolympia

Reaction score
I'm using Wyeast 1084 in my stout, and right now, about 24hrs after inoculation, it's fermenting at about 72F, which Wyeast says is the upper limit to the temp range for this strain.

It's really going like gangbusters at 72F, and I'm curious--what would happen if the temp went up to 74F? Would fermentation stop? If it continued, what kind of flavors would result?

Finally, when it's going like gangbusters, does that mean that my attenuation is strong? Or is there no connection?

tonyolympia said:
I'm using Wyeast 1084 in my stout, and right now, about 24hrs after inoculation, it's fermenting at about 72F, which Wyeast says is the upper limit to the temp range for this strain.

It's really going like gangbusters at 72F, and I'm curious--what would happen if the temp went up to 74F? Would fermentation stop? If it continued, what kind of flavors would result?

Finally, when it's going like gangbusters, does that mean that my attenuation is strong? Or is there no connection?

I just pitched a FES on my cake of 1084 a couple days ago the ferment went off like a rocket. I didn't have a swamp type cooler set up so it fermented in the high 70's till I could get it in a workable cooler. It was only there for an hour or two.

Anything above 72 will produce some off esters and possible off flavors, so I was worried. Tried the hydro sample and it tasted fine. Didn't really notice anything wrong.

It's a really resilient strain from what I have read and experienced. Most people get best results around 68.

Higher temps are also going to give you some hot fusel alcohols. It can go much higher than that, but you wouldn't like the results.

Attenuation is meaningful only with regard to the final gravity. I've had great blowoffs, which faded quickly and ended with a high FG, meaning low attenuation. Other times I've had medium-strength blowoffs followed by two weeks of chugging along, with an eventual low FG meaning high attenuation. So my definitive answer is, "it depends."

Back