Wyeast 1028 fermentation temp question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
I Just finished brewing a nut brown ale using this yeast and was wondering what the best ambient temp is?

Right now my temp controller is set at 63.5 (temp probe in a mason jar) in my fridge.

Should I raise the temp or is it at a good spot?

I've used this strain twice in the last couple months. For my most recent Irish red I fermented it at 64° for a week, and then pulled it out of the freezer and put it at room temperature for two more weeks. Just kegged it today, flavors and aromas were spot on for what I was looking for, and it came out amazingly clear. I think that temperature will serve you well.

Cool thanks, woke up and it was bubbling away. Any tips on when and what temp to bring it up to help finish out?

You usually want the yeast to still be active, maybe about 80% of your expected FG. Monitor it, and right about the time the krausen starts to fall is usually a good visual indicator. Try to keep it in the upper 60s, and somewhere where you won't get extreme temperature fluctuations.

I'm wondering if I should raise my temp a little now. I brewed on Sat, and all day yesterday (Sun) it had very vigorous fermentation. I checked it today and not a bubble from the airlock.

I pitched a 1.5 liter starter and aerated the wort pretty well.

I've read this is a quick fermenting strain but is it normal to finish this quick?

I kept my ambient temp in my fermenting fridge at 63.5, I'm thinking of raising it a degree a day until I hit 67 degrees.

Is that a good idea?

Personally I say wait. At 64° mine had slow yet steady fermentation. Don't pay attention to the airlock activity, watch the krausen and watch what the beer is doing. In a week mine went from 1.065 to about 1.025, which was when I pulled it from the fermentation chamber. If you're not sure, take a hydro sample to see where you're at. In the couple times I've used this yeast, I would be surprised if it's that close in only 2 days.

Pelican521 said:
I'm wondering if I should raise my temp a little now. I brewed on Sat, and all day yesterday (Sun) it had very vigorous fermentation. I checked it today and not a bubble from the airlock.

I pitched a 1.5 liter starter and aerated the wort pretty well.

I've read this is a quick fermenting strain but is it normal to finish this quick?

I kept my ambient temp in my fermenting fridge at 63.5, I'm thinking of raising it a degree a day until I hit 67 degrees.

Is that a good idea?

I don't worry about ambient. I tape the probe to the outside of my Better Bottles to control the temperature of the wort. I also don't really worry about changing the temperature but, I also give the beer plenty of time to finish. I usually ferment for at least 3 weeks. When chamber space has been a consideration I have taken the BB's out of the chamber after 2 weeks and for another week had them in the basement at about 70-75 degrees.

Also, don't pay much attention to bubbling in the airlock. Wait for a while then take gravity readings. That is the only true way to know how your fermentation is progressing.

Back