wyeast 1007 sub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonpce

Reaction score
Is there a good dry yeast to substitute for Wyeast 1007. I'm brewing a summer ale similar to sam adams summer wheat

Kolsch yeast (2565 or WLP029) would be a good sub.

...sorry I did not read the OP too well either. If it is a wheat you can try Danstar Munich German Wheat Beer Yeast. It is a wheat variety so you will get the hefeweizen characteristics and not the clean crisp finish of 1007.

US-05 will almost certainly be your best bet if you want to stick as close to 1007's results as possible. If you just want a good dry yeast for that style, the "wheat" options like the one mentioned above work too.

If you use US-05, mash at high and ferment at low for temps and keep the temp steady. You might have problems with high attenuation and phenols if you do not (and maybe still). I am assuming that you do not want any phenolic character if you are looking for a good sub for Wyeast 1007.

I've been brewing for about 2 years and so far have only used dry yeast. I don't have a local homebrew shop and am hesitant about having liquid yeast shipped with the warm weather. I'm wanting an American style wheat with lemon zest flavor, so I want the yeast to finish clean. Thanks for the advice

Most places will ship the yeast with ice packs for like an extra buck. That being said you'd need to make a starter to use it anyway so any damage would probably be mitigated.

Not trying to tell you to switch process or anything just figured I'd chime in

Even if it gets warm, you can make a starter for it and it should be fine. I used to get all my supplies over the internet and had a few warm yeast packs (one even already activated) but never had any problems with them.

Back