Wyeast 1007 German Ale - lower threshold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judochop

Reaction score
Brewed an Alt yesterday evening. It was 38 degrees in my garage. Ah, the things I do for beer…

Anyway, Wyeast says this strain operates best @ 55-70+ degrees. So, hoping to ferment around 58, I tucked it under my basement stairs with a wet t-shirt wrap. Any other day of this winter that would have done the trick, but last night it got down to lower single digits in Chicago and I found my beer sitting at a chilly 52 degrees this morning.

So, in a small panic, I moved it to a warmer room where it will probably settle in somewhere in the lower 60’s. I expect fermentation will pick up soon and all should be fine. But does anybody have any experience with this strain at temps below the manufacturer’s range of 55F? At what point does it go dormant? I’m just wondering if I could have (or even should have?) left it where I found it @ 52F.

Sorry folks. I just ran into another thread where two posters confirmed 1007 works well @ 52F.

So, I have the answer to my question. Unfortunately, I'm at work now and cannot undo what I have done. :(

I am so sad.

(Why didn't I do this research earlier!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY?!!!!)

Good news! I called my wife and the darling woman confirmed that the thermtape is still reading between 52 and 54 degrees!

Horray for me and my alt!

Here's to hoping it holds below 60 until I can get home to it.

Back