WY2206 (Bavarian Lager) Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

botigol

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Not sure where I'm going with this thread, but I feel the need to post. I originally planned to make a 2.6 liter starter in one step for my upcoming lager, but after playing with HomeBrewDad's yeast calculator I decided to go with a two-step starter. I knew that it would be close, brewing tomorrow (1/19), but it seemed doable. I pulled the smackpack from the refrigerator Friday morning; it swelled a little during the course of the day, but not much. I put a 1 liter starter on my stir plate Friday night. I didn't see any sign of fermentation yesterday, but many have stated that you often don't see much or anything with a starter. Last night I put the starter in the refrigerator to crash in preparation for step two today. I woke this morning to find a small krausen ring and yeast rising and falling. So, it did nothing sitting in the kitchen around 68°F-70°F on a stir plate, but starts fermenting at 35°F!

I'm not upset, so this isn't a rant. I don't really have a question, but I'm bewildered enough by what happened that I had to share. Actually, I guess that I will solicit any ideas for ensuring that I'm ready to pitch tomorrow night or Tuesday morning.

Thanks!

Back