Wy-3538 Leuven: General Experiences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsbreath

Reaction score
Long time lurker, I rarely login but frequent this forum quite a bit for tips and advice.

This years yeast of choice at Portland's Cheers to Belgian Beers homebrew competition is Wyeast 3538 Leuven Pale. Very little user info available online, and with the upcoming competition, I was hoping there would be some HBT users currently using this strain. All anecdotes and tips are appreciated ITT.

Personaly, I brewed a pale with a starter to build up a yeast cake for a tripel I pitched yesterday. The pale was 1.054 and after an insanely quick fermentation (starting temp 66F), finished at 1.012 in 8 days. It may have been even quicker than that but that was when I took my first gravity reading. A week later and it was still sitting at 1.012. Flocculates rock solid too. The tripel (Jamil's) wort I pitched on the cake at 66F was already popping off in under an hour. Seems to be an extremely easy to work with yeast that even a novice like myself can get decent results with. :ban:

I'll be updating this thread with info about how the beers actually taste when they're ready for drinking.

I really liked it. I brewed a great Belgian pale and blonde with it. More phelonic/spicy than fruity.

I revived a long expired pack I found at the lhbs. I liked it. I got a peppery flavor that eventually faded and gave way to some standard belgian esters. A nice strain for sure.

So, it's been 6 days since I brewed the tripel and I just took a gravity reading (OG: 1.085); 1.012. This thing's a sugar chewing beast! Onto secondary now.

i resume this old post.. since this strain seems more spicy than fruity, do you think is it a good strain for a saison?

Latest posts

Back