WY 1469 yeast focused pale ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I love the flavor and aroma with 1469 and have been toying with the idea of a pale ale focusing on the yeast. Hops are there, but more as a background contributor (yup, homebrew heracy). Hoping for your feedback on the following recipe:

PALE ALE, 5% ABV
83% Maris Otter
4.5% Vienna
4.5% Carapils
8% Honey @ 5 mins
Bittering @ 60 and flavor hops @ 10 (35 IBU total). No aroma hops.
WY 1469 West Yorks. Ferment at 72F for increased esters.

MO and Vienna grains for colour, grain and malt character. Carapils for head retention and a little dextrin smoothness. I originally planned the recipe WITHOUT honey and a 148F mash to increase attenuation from the low 69% average to about 75%. WITH the honey I would raise mash to 153F. In addition to lightening the body slightly, I'm hoping for subtle floral aroma from the honey. As for hops, neutral magnum bittering and maybe a columbus/cascade flavor addition (floral like the honey). I'm toying with mosaic instead, which would be more fruity, maybe a better complement to the fruity 1469 esters.

Anyway, appreciate your thoughts on this!

I really doubt the 4% vienna will be distinguishable from just using 87% MO. They are a similar color and level of toast, its different than if the base was 2 row. Then again it wont hurt anything.
Im not a fan of the honey, but to each their own. Should be a fine summer bitter.

I like first gold with 1469, the orange marmalade flavor works well, if you have it in your area. Pallisade is nice too. But there isnt alot of hops anyways.

For late hops, what about EKG/Cascade or Willamette/First Gold? You mentioned floral there, and I'm not sure I get that much floral from Columbus or Mosaic. You could remove the Vienna completely, or sub it for a small amount (like 2.5% of Amber malt or a medium crystal malt). I think the small amount of honey is a good idea for a summer ale!

Also, if you want the hops to be in the background, I'd make the late addition around the 20m or 15m mark.

Back